Friday 17 April 2009

Blogger's Quilt Festival




When visiting at Hills Creek Quilter this morning I found out about a wonderful online quilt show being hosted by Amy at Park City Girl. She has links to over 80 quilting bloggers that are participating in this unique exhibition.
This is my grandmother Sophie Tucker with the quilt I made her for her 88th birthday. The blocks were made by members of her family including her siblings, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. I pieced it all together and had several friends and family members help with the quilting.
Why did I make her a quilt? Not because I am a quilt maker, rather because she has been a quilt maker for over 50 years. For decades I had watched her do meticulous stitching on her applique pieces. I have a lovely Dresden plate quilt as well as 2 crib quilts that she did all the applique. The blocks were then returned to the church she attended and the ladies pieced the tops and then hand quilted them.
What else could I do but to make her a quilt. It was wonderful to sit with my grandmother and relate the stories of each block with her. She spent hours showing it to every person who came to visit. When she moved to her retirement home so gave me back the quilt. It is sitting my living room waiting the day when I have a guest room to display it in. When she gave me back the quilt I did have another smaller fleece backed quilt ready to give her. She was equally as thrilled with that one which she still uses.

33 comments:

Beth said...

Wow - what an amazing quilt and huge tribute to your Grandmother!

rachel griffith said...

SUPER cute quilt.
LOVE it.

dutchcomfort said...

Wonderful story and wonderful quilt!! There’s so much to discover in all the blocks!
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Amazing Quilt!

Anya said...

What a lovely quilt and lovely story as well. That is a great treasure for you.
Quilters usually make quilts for others and are not often on the receiving end, so I'm sure your grandmother was thrilled!

Zonnah said...

What a great quilt :)

Jocelyn said...

What a very sweet thing to do for your grandmother. It is a lovely memory quilt that will be a family heirloom. You did a great job!

Mary-Kay C. said...

That's a beautiful quilt and a beautiful story. I'm sure your grandmother loves it.

melissa s. said...

it is stunning, and what a sweet story!

Diana LaMarre said...

What a thoughtful loving gift for your grandmother. I can imagine how proud she was to show it off to everyone who visited.

Stephanie D said...

That was a great quilt, and I'm sure she spent many hours reminiscing over the makers of the blocks. A beautiful act of love that is.

Scrappy quilter said...

What a wonderful quilt. I'm sure your grandmother loved it.

Dorothy said...

The quilt is lovely Heather. Your grandmother must have been thrilled. I'm glad she has given it to you for safekeeping and to treasure. I've found too many things can go astray in a retirement home.

Ulla said...

I think the quilt was a great way to show her your appreciation of her work!

Andi said...

How wonderful for your grandmother to see how her love of quilting has been passed down through the generations. Very special!
Andi :-)

stitchinpenny said...

I am glad you got the quilt back. It is sad that she couldn't take it with her.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Wonderful quilt and great story.

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt and story. Thanks for sharing.

Lorraine said...

This is the best kind of quilt ever !!!

hetty said...

A great tribute to your grandmother! I love quilts that are a family effort!

Kari V. said...

I like how you got your whole family involved. That really adds a special touch.

Quilt Rat said...

Oh this is such a lovely quilt with great story. You will keep those memories always.
Enjoy the festival

Unknown said...

Such a lovely quilt for an amazing quilter! I love all the thoughtful memories placed within the quilt - beautiful work :) Thanks for sharing with us!

Micki said...

What a lovely quilt and tribute to your grandmother.
Wonderful job!
Micki

quiltmom anna said...

Quilts are wonderful things- they are made with love and honor the relationships we have with our loved ones.
This is such a special quilt- how nice you were able to have it returned to you and give your grandmother another one to enjoy...
Thanks for sharing..
Regards,
Anna

Coloradolady said...

What a wonderful quilt and a wonderful gift for your grandmother, I am sure she loved the quilt and what it represented. It is a beauty for sure. Lovelt story to go with the quilt.

Ariane said...

What a wonderful quilt. Such a nice gift for your grandmother. Beautiful.

Janet Hartje said...

Beautiful gift! Fun to hear all the stories behind the quilts.

Miri said...

Heather, what a beautiful quilt and story...your Grandmother must be thrilled that she has a granddaughter who understands and shares her love of quilting.

Isa said...

What a lovely story, and a beautiful quilt

Mid Life Cry Sis said...

what a touching tribute!

Granny Lyn said...

What a beautiful quilt for a beautiful Grandmother! ALOT of work, too, I'm sure,,,it is stunning!!! no wonder you're proud of it!!!

Unknown said...

An outstanding quilt full of memories, thanks for sharing.