Saturday 8 January 2011

Glazed Murder: A Donut Shop Mystery by Jessica Beck

After her divorce from Max, Suzanne Hart buys a donut shop and renames it Donut Heart.  All is going well and she is developing a loyal core of customers, when early one morning she watches as a body is dumped in front of her shop.  It's one of those loyal customers and she is left wondering if she will be the next victim.

Suzanne is determined to find out who killed her friend, before the killer finds her.

This was a fun holiday read.  One thing I have never made is a donut.  I admit to being kind of afraid of huge pots of almost boiling oil.  It was interesting to learn a bit about the process involved first in making donuts and then to running the shop.  There are eleven yummy sounding recipes included in the book, most of them for donuts.  I am looking forward to trying the recipe for the baked donuts.

There were two things that bugged me about the story.  Suzanne claims that the victim Patrick Blaine is her friend, but we don't learn anything other than he was a customer of hers.  The other is that she jumps right into investigating his death almost without any pushing or threat to her.  I wish we had learned more about their friendship, such as they played cards together, or that they discussed books whenever  Patrick was in the shop.  A few menacing phone or text messages or even the passing of a bit of time before she started investigating would have made more sense to me, but Suzanne didn't wait at all.  She just finished her shift and started asking questions.

From that point, the story got better.  We were introduced to her friends and to the busy body in the shop next door.  I like the owner of Re-Newed, she would be fun to have tea with.  

Author Jessica Beck has introduced us to an interesting set of characters.  I do look forward to reading more about them in her upcoming books: Fatally Frosted and Sinister Sprinkles.

Thanks to Meagan of Snippets & Yarns from Turtle Bottom for sending me this fun book.

Also reviewed at:

This and That. Here and There. Now, Sometimes, Then.

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.  You are invited to add a link to your food related post.

Foodie's Reading Challenge is hosted by Margot of Joyfully Retired.  You are invited to join the challenge by reading food related materials in the form of: cookbooks, novels, memoirs/biographies, and non-fiction.  Visit the site for full details.  Challenge starts January 2011 and continues throughout the year.

7 comments:

Margot said...

Opening up a donut shop would be a fitting experience after a nasty divorce. I'd probably eat all the profits. I did make donuts at home in my younger and stupider days. They were delicious but when I think of all that potential fire hazard, I shiver.

Margot said...

I forgot to say Thank You for joining the Foodie's Reading Challenge. Hope it will be a fun reading year for you.

Gina said...

Now that's an interesting twist on a mystery...a donut shop. Can't say I've heard that locale used before, but you're right...it does sound like a fun read despite the initial "two-feet in" intro. Thanks for sharing...and happy reading!

Joy Weese Moll said...

Sounds like a fun book! I, too, have to suspend belief a bit more than I want to sometimes with mysteries that feature amateur sleuths. I'm glad this book rewarded you for continuing to read past that.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I love a good food mystery, this sounds fun. I have to admit I'm not to picky when it comes to my cozy series. I tend not to mind my amateur sleuth's jumping in.

Nan said...

I yearn to make donuts. I have a deep fat fryer we use to make french fries, and I expect we could use it for donuts. I should read this book just for the recipes!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Hi, Heather. I just read Glazed Murder for the Foodie's Reading Challenge, too. LOL! Just like you, I want to try to make the baked doughnut recipe. I like your review. :-)