Tuesday 18 December 2012

Oh Christmas Tree Skirt

A plain white bedsheet.  That was our Christmas Tree skirt for most of the years while I was growing up.  Then when I married, the budget was too tight to purchase sonething we'd only be using a few days a year.  After we had children and they were getting old enough to notice 'stuff' around the house, I decided that our tree needed to have a proper skirt. 

By chance, I had the perfect pattern sitting in waiting.  It was one that I had got from my mother-in-laws sewing room after she had passed away.  It was several years before I got around to making it, but have loved it every year since.  I used a McCall's Craft pattern #5013 (discontinued).


Shopping for the supplies was quite the challenge.  I needed lining, shimmery fabric, lace, trim, bias tape and cording that all co-ordinated.  Love that burgundy colour.  After finishing the skirt, I had enough fabric and trim to make a matching table runner.

Granny Tree SkirtThis year, I have fallen in love with a new tree skirt pattern, this one is crocheted and the pattern is from Red Heart: Granny Tree Skirt.  I won't be making it for myself, but possibly for one or both of my children (for future use, should they ever decide to leave the comforts of home).  Shown is the photo from the Red Heart site.

Does your Christmas Tree Skirt have a story/history.  Share it on your blog, then come back here and leave a link so that we can all enjoy it.



13 comments:

Barb said...

We used just a white sheet for the longest time. I need to go and look in my boxes for the one I designed and made for our family. I just recently made a new one for my tree.

I love your story and both skirts are just wonderful...that last one is the cats meow.

Cheryl Coville said...

There are so many options for tree skirts. I love yours. I think it's very elegant. I think the granny square one is very cool, too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I just did a post on mine crazy quilt style skirt.

Christine M said...

Thanks for inviting me to join you in the Christmas Tree Skirt linky. I have done a post over on my blog.

Marie said...

Nice tree skirt. I just posted mine, but it's definitely not as nice as this.

I like the granny square one, too. Bright and cheery!

Thanks for the invitation.

Wendy said...

What a lovely post. So nice to have something that is used from year to year. I don't have a tree skirt...as a matter of fact I don't have a tree either...we leave in two days to spend Christmas with my son and family, BUT if I was going to make one, I sure do like the crocheted one...simply charming!

Linda said...

Great idea Heather. Nice to see different tree skirts. My blog post is from two years ago. I made this tree skirt about 15 years ago and I have used it every year since, including this year.

Elaine said...

I didn't have a tree skirt for many years either, but then we moved to Norway and I fell in love with Norwegian Christmases! I made my quilted skirt from a pattern I bought there, we are now back in England but I remember all those wonderful white Christmases every time I get this out.

Roslyn said...

It will be fun to see how many different variations of tree skirts are around, too many to count!

Coloradolady said...

Thank you for your invite...I posted about some skirts I talked about and the maker a few years back. They are most special!! Merry Christmas!!

em's scrapbag said...

Love the granny square tree skirt!

Kate said...

Oh, no...now I have to find the rest of the skirt. That's okay, I was going to have to do the anyway.
I like the granny squares.

Colleen said...

Hi Heather. Thanks for the idea of discussing out tree skirts. There are many different kinds out there!