Wednesday 14 November 2007

Comfort Quilt


I think that it's every parent's nightmare that there child is injured and that there is nothing you can do to make it better. Recently a member of an online quilt guild (Maple Leaf Quilt Guild) experienced just that. Her daughter was shot in a drive by shooting. At this time it looks that she will have a good recovery.
As a mother, my heart went out to the two of them. As a quilter, I thought that I have to make her a quilt. Fortunately my online guild had completed some 'round robin' quilts for just such a situation. I added a final bright pink boarder, backed it with a soft pink fleece, some machine quilting and voila. A quilt to bring comfort.
For those not familiar with a Round Robin. It started with the log cabin block at the middle. This was mailed to a member who then added a small boarder around the block and the large white triangles that turned the block on point. Next member added her boarder of blue flowers and green leaves. Off in the mail again to the next member who added the row of striped hearts. The final member added the row of floral squares. Then it came home to rest with me until it found a need.
It was a wonderful way to participate in making a round robin, without the commitment of a huge quilting project. My mother will be delivering the quilt to the member sometime this week. I hope that it brings her the comfort and all the love and care that went into the making of it.

No comments: