Monday 19 November 2007

What to Read?

I am currently reading my 99Th book of the year. This is the first time since I started keeping a book log in 1993 that I have come anywhere near that number. I admit that some where shorter, but some where also massive tomes exceeding 1000 pages. eeks. If you are curious of which books they are check my Bookcrossing Shelf.

I don't think it is of much importance that I have read a large number of books, rather its the variety of authors and genres. I get my books from a number of sources, family, friends, foundlings, and recommendations from all over. This year I read lots by Canadian authors so I would have them to take overseas on vacation and be able to give them away (the books not the authors). Lately I have read a number of fiction that are similar to Biographies (don't know what the name of this genre). Mixed in were some rather strange fantasy, children's novels and even non-fiction. Yes, even a bunch of romances, most of them being set in the Regency era.

I have enjoyed almost every one of them. That doesn't mean that I would recommend them all, not by any chance. But for me, they all filled some sort of niche.

So, if a book strikes your fancy, go ahead and read it regardless of what the critics say, or what your family or friends say. Its up to you.

In case you are wondering, today I am reading 'The Experiment' by John Darnton. I welcome your suggestions.

No comments: