Thursday 24 February 2011

Recipe Thursday - Peanut-Fudge Pudding Cake (microwave cooking)

I have noticed over time, that very few people actually use their microwaves for cooking.  Mostly its  forreheating, in particular, frozen vegetables or an old cup of coffee or tea.   When I got married, my father-in-law and his wife gave us a microwave and a cookbook.  Betty Crocker's Microwave Cookbook saw a lot of use in our house.  Having more time to spend in the kitchen means I don't have as much of a rush to get dinner ready.  There are still several dishes that I rather enjoy making from this book.   Today it's a variation of a favourite dessert. 

Pudding cake is still magic for me.  When I was little, my mother used to buy packaged mix to make this.  I loved the lemon flavour.  It was a small box with two packets inside.  One the cake mix and the other for the sauce.  This is made in exactly the same method. Mix the cake in the bowl, sprinkle the sugary stuff over top and then carefully pour the really hot water over top.  Then cook.  Today we're doing it without the box mix.

Peanut-Fudge Pudding Cake

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cup hot water

Mix flour, sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa, baking powder and salt in a 2 quart casserole.  (note: a 1.8 L container isn't big enough).  Stir in milk, peanut butter, oil and vanilla until smooth.

Mix together brown sugar and  1/4 cup cocoa.  Sprinkle mixture over top of cake batter. 

Pour hot water over batter.  Microwave uncovered on medium (50%) for 9 minutes; rotate casserole 1/4 turn.  Microwave on high (100%) until top is almost dry, 5 to 7 minutes longer.  While warm spoon into dessert dishes and top with ice cream.  Spoon sauce over ice cream.

Butterscotch Sundae Cake:
Omit peanut butter.  Add 1 package butterscotch chips (1 cup).  Decrease brown sugar to 1/2 cup and the 1/4 cup cocoa to 2 tablespoons.

Usually I make the version with the peanut butter, but daughter really likes butterscotch and seeing that we had the chips, thought I would surprise her.  I am assuming that I was supposed to mix the chips into the batter and not sprinkle them along with the sugar mixture.

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish ReadsThis week's link.  You are invited to visit and checkout the various food related posts, and if you wish, add your own current link.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, I just started using my microwave for a little more than reheating (thanks to Pampered Chef's stoneware being microwavable). These look too good to pass up.

Marie said...

I'm one of those people who only use their microwaves for reheating and cooking frozen veggies. Since we liked your last dessert so much, I'm definitely going to try this one. Thanks!

caite said...

I love my microwave...nothings is better for veggies...but I have never really explored it for baking.

Beth F said...

You may just inspire me to do more than reheat food in my microwave! This looks awesome. I wonder if it will work with almond butter (I can't eat peanuts).

Chinoiseries said...

Your post reminds me of two really dusty cookbooks about cooking Chinese food in the microwave. And to be honest, why not use this household appliance for making our lives even easier? Thanks for posting the delish recipe!

Miri said...

Oh I'm keeping these recipes. I've been making the chocolate sundae cake from my regular Betty Crocker cookbook in the microwave for years. LOL! My kids call it The Souffle because I make it a souffle dish-they should only know!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

UUUUUUMMMMM, yummy. I have never heard of all purpose flour.

Heather said...

All purpose flour is the regular floour that you would use most of the time. It doesn't have leavening added and it is not specifically for either cakes or bread. General use.

Carole said...

Boy that takes me back - a microwave cook book.

Thanks for linking in Heather. Cheers

Carole said...

Yep, that's saucy all right, Heather! Cheers