Tuesday 8 February 2011

Needlework Tuesday -Let's Knit Socks Two at a Time

I knit a pair of socks a few years ago and the first sock was done in short order and then I started the second.  It dragged on and on. I thought I would never get it finished and wondered if they would be the same size and length.  A book friend suggested that I try knitting them at the same time.  I found this book at a knitting show and bought it and studied it for about two years.  This week I took the plunge and cast on my stitches.
In last week's post I showed you the yarn I was using and added a link to the pattern.  Here's what it looks like with all the stitches cast on for both socks.  It really would help if my needles didn't look so much the same.  If you can get different coloured needles or wires, then that will help a lot.
With a couple of mix ups, I did manage to get the ribbing completed.  The pattern called for one repeat of the pattern before starting the heel.  I did two repeats as I didn't want to wait till the heel was done to see what the pattern would look like.  Not sure I really can tell yet.  This will make the sock only the slightest bit higher.  I am using 3mm needles so it takes a lot of rows to knit one inch.

Marie at Daisy's Book Journal has also started her socks.  I'll update the link when she puts up her post. Marie has her post up now.  She has a pic of her finished shrug and the start of her socks.   We are encouraging each other with our sock knitting.  yippee.  Great to have someone to work with.

Michelle at Brain Angles - Invisible Ink has posted a picture of the cherry blossoms that she crocheted.

I'll be back next week with my sock progress.  For now I need to get to my sewing machine and finish a gift for hubby for his birthday tomorrow.

I have started a new feature article on my other blog, Send a Postcard a Week.  Each Sunday I am going to feature fabric postcards.  My mother belongs to an online group that trades these cards every month.  She has quite the collection and she has allowed me to take photos of some of them.  This past Sunday I featured some 'white' cards as a sort of snub to all that stuff falling outside.  Click on here and check them out.

5 comments:

Marie said...

What a great idea! You'll be done in no time. They look fabulous.

Anonymous said...

This looks like fun! I just remembered that I bought myself one of those knitting hooks before I realized I was better at crochet. New socks on the way. Yay!!
Stay inspired!
Michelle
Brain Angles - Invisible Ink

Anonymous said...

I found that I would need either two circular needles or a very large one, so the socks will have to wait awhile. I can't wait to see your progress Heather.
Stay inspired!

Anonymous said...

My sister is a big sock knitter, I'm going to have to see if she has this one. The socks are looking good. I love the colors.

Dorte H said...

Hm.

I think I´d better show this to my daughter, she´s the knitting expert in this family.