Saturday 19 February 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

my daughter has been after me to read this for quite some time.  She raved about this series for the longest time.  I figured it was about time I got with the game.

The date of the selection for the annual Hunger Games is approaching, and sixteen year old Katniss is concerned that this will be her year for selection.  How will her mother and sister survive without her when she dies; only one combatant in the game will survive.

I was quite impressed with the depth of the main characters Katniss, Gale, Peeta and even Rue.  They were so real that I could almost imagine what they were thinking and doing when the story wasn't centred on them.  We learn little bits of information about the other eleven districts, but it is enough to leave me wanting more.  I am left wondering whether the clues that Katniss and Peeta have learned are far more than Capitol wants them to know.  Will Capitol seek to silence them.

The nation of Panem is split into twelve districts which each have a resource that is needed by Capitol.  They are isolated from each other, both by geography, but also systematically by Capitol, which controls all the transportation outside of each district.  This leads me to think that Capitol is no longer as strong as it was at the end of the war.  They use the terror of the Hunger Games and near starvation as a very effective means of controlling the populace.

I'm looking forward to reading Catching Fire and learning how Katniss and Peeta deal with life as victors once they return to District 12. 

Suzanne Collins website
 Scholastic website for The Hunger Games

Review by Shannon (daughter) at Illusion-esk

This is my 27th book for the Read, Remember, Recommend Fiction Challenge hosted by Rachelle at Bibliobabe.com.  Two new contests to win books have been added, check them out.

5 comments:

Shelley said...

Heather, I am officially jealous of the amount of reading you get done LOL! I liked this review of a book I would probably never pick out to read :)

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I have been nagged about reading this as well though so far I have managed to resist. I've heard lots of good things about it but to be honest I'm not sure its my cup of tea.

Anonymous said...

I know everyone who reads these seems to just love them but they just don't seem to spark anything in me. I may still have to give them a try at some point.

Jenny Girl said...

Glad you daughter nagged you to read this. Who would have thought YA would be su thought provoking. Glad you enjoyed it. I haven't read Catching Fire yet but hoping to someday :)

Stone Meadow One said...

My teacher read this book for us in grade 8, and at first I wasn't interested at all. Later I became obsessed with the book and borrowed it from her so I could finish.
The second book wasn't quite as good, but the third book was great :)