Thursday 17 February 2011

Recipe Thursday - Cranberry Nut Dessert

This is one of my favourite desserts to make.  It is extremely easy, turns out perfect every time and adults love it.  I don't think kids find it sweet enough, which is great when you don't really want to share.

It is from a long ago issue of Taste of Home and was submitted by Peggy Van Arsdale.

As shown in the first photo, this is a really stiff mix if you use frozen cranberries.  It will be tough to mix in the dry stuff, but keep working at it and it will blend in.
I use the back of a large spoon but flatten it in the pan, but it's very sticky, perhaps some of that spray oil stuff on your hand would work better.

I made this for our Valentines Dessert night at my fencing club.  It was a huge hit with the parents and I had to sneak a bit home for hubby to enjoy.
Cranberry Nut Dessert

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup butter melted, you can use margarine, but I haven't tried that
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt.  Add cranberries and nuts; toss to coat.

 Stir in the butter, eggs and extract (mixture will be very thick if using frozen berries). 

Spread into a greased 9 inch pie plate.  Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the centre comes out clean. 

Serve warm with whipped dream or ice cream if desired.

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.  You are invited to join in the fun by linking your food related post.  It could be a recipe, cookbook review, foodie themed book, a movie or any other food related post. 

11 comments:

Marie said...

I'm definitely going to make this. It looks and sounds delicious!

Marie said...

I made last night for for dessert. It was really good. I didn't have cranberries, so I used frozen raspberries. Despite folding them in at the end to avoid turning the whole thing pink, it turned pink anyway and was a bit gloopy (technical cooking term). It still tasted really good. I'm definitely going to make it again. Thanks.

Heather said...

The raspberries sound wonderful. They are a more juicy fruit; I would think that it would require about five more minutes in the oven. Will have to check it out myself.

Beth F said...

Cranberries and nuts? What could be better. Ummmmmm.

Nan said...

If I hadn't just made a cranberry cake, I'd make this today!! Oh, wow, it sounds good. The only thing I'd do different is I'd use vanilla not almond, just 'cause I don't like the taste of almond so much. Thank you! Did it really fit okay in that size pan? It didn't overflow?

JoAnn said...

I love cranberry desserts, especially with nuts. The almond extract is an added bonus! This looks easy to make, too.

Chinoiseries said...

Love this sentence: " I don't think kids find it sweet enough, which is great when you don't really want to share." xD

Hmm, not sure about this. I guess I automatically think of granola when combining cranberries and nuts. And I'm just a sucker for crumble, any kind of crumble :s

caite said...

I might try this with black raspberries, since I have some frozen...and really need to use them up.

Peaceful Reader said...

I love cranberries. If the kids don't like it-more for my husband and I. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Col (Col Reads) said...

Looks yummy!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

mmmm...this sounds great...I keep recipes that I find in my magazines as well and sometimes forget exactly where they came from. I like Taste of the Home and of course Taste of the South :)