Thursday 10 February 2011

Recipe Thursday - Pineapple Coconut Cake

I always enjoy the opportunity to try out a new recipe, specially if it means I get to bake a cake.  Yesterday was hubby's birthday.  When asked what flavours he wanted; coconut, banana and mousse.  Well, that was an awkward combination.  In consultation with my son, we chose a pineapple and coconut recipe.  It is from a 2004 book, Baking: Simple to Sensational, from Company's Coming.  Click here to visit their site and view some sample images, table of contents and sample recipes.  I have made several recipes from this book and each turned out as expected.   Most unusual is one called "Blintz Torte".  It is a Swedish recipe.  First you mix up a  cake batter and divide it between the two pans, you top this with a meringue and then bake.  After it has cooled you fill with a custard layer.  I think I am going to have to bake this and show you step by step photos.  I have never had anything like it and was most surprised how easy it was to follow the steps and have it turn out. 


The Pineapple Coconut cake was so moist and wonderful.  We should have eaten it before dinner so we had more space.  I had made hubby's favourite birthday meal of mashed potatoes, corn, and chicken Kiev (frozen from the store as I don't deep fry).  I toasted the coconut in a frying pan instead of in the oven.  I stood right at the stove the whole time to ensure that I didn't over cook it.  It really enhanced the flavour to do the toasting.  Do not skip this step.
Pineapple Coconut Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 large eggs
14 oz can of crushed pineapple with juice
1/3 cup milk
2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup medium sweetened coconut

Pineapple Icing
3 tbsp butter softened
1/3 cup pineapple juice
4 cups icing sugar

1/2 cup medium sweetened coconut toasted

Beat butter, sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl until light and creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add pineapple with juice and milk.  Beat until just combined.  Mixture may look curdled, but will come together when flour is added.

Combine flour and baking powder in small bowl.  Add to pineapple mixture.   Add coconut.  Stir well.  Grease and flour bottom of 2 eight inch pans.  Divide and pour batter into pans.  Bake in 325 F oven for about 45 minutes until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.  Let stand in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.  Run knife around inside edges of pans to loosen cakes.  Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Pineapple icing: Beat butter and pineapple juice in medium bowl until smooth.  Add icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time while beating, until spreading consistency.  Makes 1  1/3 cup icing.  Place 1 cake layer on serving plate.  Spread top with 1/2 cup of icing.  Place second cake layer on top of icing.  Spread remaining icing on top and side of cake.  Sprinkle coconut over top of cake. 


Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.  You are invited to add your food related post and to enjoy visiting the various links for recipes, cookbook reviews along with book and movie reviews.  As long as it's food related, it belongs in Weekend Cooking.

10 comments:

Marie said...

Looks great! I love coconut. I think it goes so well with with pineapple. Great tropical flavours in the dead of winter.

I hope you husband had a nice birthday.

Diana LaMarre said...

Yum! I think coconut cake is my all time favorite. I Love any tropical cake with coconut. I agree that you must toast it to bring out the best flavor.

Peaceful Reader said...

Your cake looks lovely! What a perfect birthday gift.

Joy Weese Moll said...

What a fabulous cake! A wonderful way to celebrate a winter birthday with all those tropical flavors.

JoAnn said...

A belated Happy Birthday to your hubby! I love coconut cake... this one looks delicious.

Beth F said...

Hummmm You are giving me ideas. My husband's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and he loves pineapple... This looks so goooooood.

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
That really sounds good! I love coconut and pineapple. Happy belated birthday to you hubby. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Nan said...

Oh my gosh! I'm saving this recipe. I am sure to love it! Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

OMG that looks delicious! Your husband is a lucky guy! Just a small hint: my birthday's coming up soon too... :P

Carole said...

Heather, thanks for joining the cake extravaganza. Cheers