Sunday 15 September 2013

Needlework Special - My mom's projects of the moment

I've introduced my mom to you before, but for those who haven't viewed her online quilt show, I'll do it again.  This is my mom, Elaine Tucker and she is a quilter.  In a change of tradition, I was the one who introduced her to quilting.  I asked her to come with me on a bus trip to Paducah some years ago, she said yes, but that she didn't quilt.  Well, neither did I as I had just recently started.  Let's now say, that the rest is history and that she can be found quilting every day.

The first two photos shew here with her latest bag, the Ellipse Bag, designed by Brenda Miller from Among Brenda's Quilts.


 The class that the took was taught by the designer herself.  The only thing mom would change is a longer strap if you were wanting to wear it across the body.

Both of us have been collecting selvedges for ages, but she has actually made a quilt.  The pattern is from Karen Griska at the Selvedge blog.  Some of the strips didn't have printing on the edge, instead of discarding them, she used colourful thread and machine stitched a row of fancy stitches.

 
 





Laundry Basket quilts is new to her local shop, Cornerstone Quilts.  The owner started a regular Thursday group and they work on various patterns by Edyta.  Currently they are working toward their first Laundry Baskets inshop quilt show.


Occasionally, mom meets with a group of quilting friends and they work on projects and chat.  This is a mystery that one of the members shared with them.  It's still in need of the borders shown in the following photo.



 
The blocks are all finished for this Bonnie Hunter mystery from a current magazine.

 
Another set of blocks from a pattern by Edyta, those these are still in the works.

 
This disappearing 4 patch is a left over from a quilt that is currently being displayed at the London Fall Fair     in London, Ontario. Sorry, no picture of the quilt, but I will update once she gets if back.

The tumbler quilt was also inspired by a pattern from Laundry Basket Quilts, though she used a template from Marti Michell.  I'm surprised at how quickly this went together as I only gave her the template at mother's day.


 
Bargello has in been in progress for quite some time and has been put aside for way too long.  Now that she's been reminded of it, she is intent to get back at it this winter.  pattern unknown.

 
These half square triangles are the basis for her next bag.  An update from Elaine earlier in the week tells me that the blocks are all sewn together and waiting the next step.  I'll add photos next time I see it.
 
Thanks for joining me for a peek into my mom's sewing room.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Your mom has a real talent for the scrappy quilts. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie Rodgers said...

I'm so glad you reposted the link to your mom's quilt show; I missed it the first time, probably because I wasn't following you blog then. ;-)

Your mom is very talented indeed - and certainly dedicates a lot of time to quilting. Thanks for the lovely tour!

sewnut said...

I am very proud to call your mom,my friend. Elaine has a great talent for making beautiful quilts, as well as being a great friend. Thanks for sharing her work.

Marie said...

Awesome work, Elaine!! It's all terrific, but I especially love the bag, the selvage edge quilt, the tumbling blocks, and the Bargello!!!!

Heather, thanks for sharing your Mom's work.