Tuesday 24 September 2013

Needlework Tuesday - Quilt as you go Bee

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Thursday was Bee Day.  That's the day that I get together with some of my quilting friends and we stitch and chat.  This week we were working on a quilt as you go project that will be donated to a local children's project. 
 

For those who aren't familiar with the technique, while you are stitching your block together, you are doing it on top of the backing and batting so that your finished square has all three layers intact.
The squares were all completed the previous week, and this meeting were re assembling the rows and then attaching the rows together.

 
The front looks stunning with the rich assortment of colours.

 
The fall colours on the back are equally impressive.
 
 
Last night, the almost finished project was displayed at our guild meeting.  Back.

 
Front.  They are discussing adding another row so it will be more of a usual bed size.
 
The following is a very clear video of how to join the blocks together.  I would use the 1 inch strip for the back and a 1 3/4 inch folded strip for the front. 
 

 

it was just two weeks ago that I gave you an update on my mother's projects, but she has been busy.   Since then, she started and completed this quilt top.  She had seen some brick style quilts using 2 1/2 inch quilts and decided to make her own. 
This is the  Disappearing 4 patch quilt that she had on display at the Western Fall Fair in London, Ontario.  The fair is deciding whether to re-introduce the quilt show which they discontinued a few years ago.  This year's show was a success, so hopefully, it will be back next year, with ribbons and such.



 
While we were talking about her making quilts for future great grandchildren, she remembered that she has this one completed  and waiting. It even has a label, with space at the top for the great grandchild's name.

 
 
 
Last post I showed these half square triangles in progress.  The panel is now complete and ready to be turned into a tote bag.  It is a pattern from Laundry Basket quilts, but I'm not sure if it was in a magazine or in one of Edyta's books.
 
You are probably wondering if I have been working on any of my own projects.  Yes. I have been quilting up a storm working on the quilt that is going to Calgary for the fellow who was severely flooded out of his house.  I am about 3/4 of the way through and am keeping my toes crossed that I don't run out of the variegated thread. Can't cross my fingers as I need them to guide the quilt under the machine.
 
I did get my blocks completed for class on Saturday.  We are getting near the end, only two more block patterns to go.  I need to step up my stitching so that I'll have the quilt top ready for show and tell in November.  this month I need to stitch 4 of the 9 inch blocks and still have around 40 of the tiny ones to do.  eeks.
 
 
I really liked how this one went together, so I stitched 4. 
 Not sure which I like best.

 
Wasn't as keen on this one. 
Didn't like the bump where the square in the square
 met up with the point of the flying goose.
 
Hope to have a pic of the finished quilt for Calgary next week.  There's been snow in the mountains outside Banff, so I really can't be slow.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hi Heather, I so enjoy reading your blog. I am most interested to know more about the technique you use to stitch your block together with the backing and batting. Do you have a tutorial for this please?

Tami said...

Thank you for the video on joining the blocks. I have made some small quilt-as-you-go projects, but haven't tried joining blocks. This is about the only way I can machine quilt on my old machine, so I'm anxious to give it a try.

Lots of beautiful work.

Marie said...

Lovely work!! All of them. I especially like the quilt made by your guild. The front is stunning indeed.

Sorry I'm so late in commenting.