Saturday 6 April 2013

I love udon noodles


Over the past few months, I have fallen in love with udon noodles.  Perhaps it was my husband descibing them as earthworms and he didn't want to even see them.  Whatever it is, I love eating them.  They are thick and substantial, take sauce and flavours well, and because them come already cooked, they are ready to eat in minutes.
 
The ones I have been buying are  called Don Don Instant Japanese - Styled Noodle (Udon) from Kwong Tai Agency Co., Ltd. The package contains 4 individual serving of 200 grams each.  I haven`t tried other brands at home, though I have eaten udon a few times in restaurants, and enjoyed them equally as well.
 
There are some simple recipes on the back of the package and I adjusted on to my needs and ingredients at hand.
 
Heat a teaspoon of oil in a frying pan along with one packet of udon.  Add a teaspoon of oyster sauce and about a tablespoon of sweet chili sauce for chicken.  Stir fequently.  Add whatever small cut vegetables and stir for a few minutes.  I added a handful of bean sprouts. I then poured it into a flat bowl.  Then I scrambled friend a beaten egg.  I also added a handful of fresh greens into the serving dish, added the egg on top sprinkled with a bit of Sriracha sauce.
 
Simple yet so tasty.
 
 

For more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking post.  Beth invites you to join in the fun by adding a link  your recent food related post.

12 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yum. Not that we have this particular brand but I love this variety of noodle. Great when stir-fried with veggies.

Rikki said...

Sounds like a very nice and quick recipe. I am not too fond of udon noodles, but I wouldn't say no to this meal.

caite said...

I have never met a noodle I don't like, but udon is at the top of the 'love'm" list!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I have eaten udon and it's pretty good, but I don't think I can get my husband to eat it.

JoAnn said...

I love noodles - this sounds simple and delicious. Wonder if I can find that brand at Wegmans...

Carole said...

Thanks for this idea - I usually boil up egg noodles but this sounds faster and tasty. Cheers

Marie said...

I don't mind udon, but they are not my favorite noodle. But that's only because they don't wind nicely around a fork for eating. Too messy for me.

Your dish looks yummy, though.

Nice bright new blog format! Love the colour!

Tina said...

I like all sorts of noodle dishes. Looks great and easy. That's a winner for sure.

Beth F said...

I use udon noodles a lot because they cook so fast. Perfect to adding last minute to a soup.

Cecelia said...

Udon noodles are perfect to have on hand for that night when you just don't want to make a big effort (let's be honest, that's more often than not in my world!). I haven't tried that brand, but I will be on the lookout. Thanks for sharing!

Laurie C said...

I confess to not knowing what udon noodles are! I wonder if they're gluten-free, by any chance. I'll google and find out!

Unknown said...

I've had udon noodles at a restaurant and loved them. Thanks for the easy recipe to make at home!