Thursday 24 November 2011

Recipe Thursday - Cake Flop

 When reading my local paper last week, I came across a recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Cake.  It sounded yummy. Chocolate is tasty and pumpkin is so good for me.  I figured it would be a winner.

It looks good in this 8 1/2" springform pan.

 Looks scrumptious in this mini bundt shape.

Even looks great on the plate ready for eating.   Too bad it didn't cook properly.  Even though the tester came out clean, the middle of the cake was totally undercooked.  The recipe said it needed 46 - 60 minutes, I left it in for 70 minutes.  On top of that, it just isn't tasty.  It does not taste chocolatey nor does it taste like any other particular flavour.  It's blah.  What a disappointment.  I was all set to take a big hunk of cake to my dad tomorrow.  He's undergoing chemo every week and I felt it would be a nice pick-me-up.  No such luck.  I'll have to bake for him while I'm at his place.

Next week I will be doing a special Recipe Thursday post.  Along with the cancer, dad has heart issues and now kidney troubles.  The doctors have told him no more canned soups.  Dad likes soup every day.  I have been taking them homemade soup every week, but I do feel they are ready for the challenge of cooking together and making soup.  Turns out that they are in need of recipes.  Next week's post will be about soup.  I'll be putting up a Mr. Linky and asking that my readers add link(s) to their soup recipe posts.  It doesn't have to be a new post, but it does have to be soup.  So, check back next Thursday and leave a link and a comment.  I'll print out all the recipes and comments and put them in a binder for my parents.  For those who don't write food posts in their blog, but have a recipe they would like to share, email it to me directly at heatherdpear at hotmail dot com.   (you know what to do to change it to a real email address).  Thank-you.

For additional foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking post.  Included are links to a variety of food related posts including: recipes, cookbook reviews, book and movie reviews and other food topics.

11 comments:

Linda said...

What a shame. Chocolate/pumpkin sounds so good.

Marie said...

Too bad about the cake. It does look nice, though.

I have a recipe for soup you might like. It's not typed up yet, but I'll either post it or email it directly to you.

(((Hugs))) to both you and your Dad. I hope he's feeling better soon. Here are some extra ones ((())) for you Mom, too. ;)

Beth F said...

I would have thought chocolate and pumpkin would be a perfect combo. Sorry the flavor was meh and it didn't bake right. Bummer.

I'll have a soup recipe for you next week.

Uniflame said...

I have several soup recipes on my blog! But because my memory is really fuzzy, I am afraid that I will forget, so I will just e-mail the links to you in a few!

Anonymous said...

We eat a lot of soup during the winter, so I'll see what I can find. To think positively about the cake, well, as long as you try new recipes, flops will happen from time to time. It shows you are a cook with imagination who wants to continue to learn. Nothing wrong with that!

caite said...

well live and learn..as I did not to make this! lol
a shame, but off to better recipes!

Peggy@Peggy Ann's Post said...

Sorry the cake flopped :( Hope your dad feels better soon. Memory linked up a great soup recipe today at Beth's Here is the link http://xicanti.livejournal.com/332936.html

TheBookGirl said...

Too bad the cake turned out to be sub-par.
Sorry to hear that your dad has additional medical troubles. I will look to see what low-salt soup recipes I have that might be good.

Elly D said...

Hello Heather :)
So sorry to read about your Dad. I am sitting here eating? some delicious home made mushroom and barley soup. Nice and thick. I will try to remember how I made it and write out a recipe for you. I have a recipe for healthy Irish Soda bread to type up for another friend so this may get me to get to it ;)
Love your knitting and crochet projects and your convergence quilt project. That is one on my to do one day list.
I hope you are well yourself. hugs Ellyx

Kate said...

Really too bad about the cake.

But great idea on the soup recipes! I'll see what I have around. Good luck!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

So sorry the cake was a flop -- it did sound good!

I'll come back and link a soup recipe on Thursday -- do they have any dietary restrictions (ingredients or spices we should avoid)?