Tuesday 1 November 2011

Needlework Tuesday - So Many Irons in the Fire

 Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.
Week 8 is now stitched.  This pattern is called Honeycomb Cable Stitch.  I haven't tried this one previously but will be using it again.  Turned out very good and only had to reverse stitch a few times.  For pattern 9 we'll be doing another new to me stitch, Farrow Rib.  Be sure to visit The Kingdom of Coco for the instructions.


 Last week I showed you the apple cozy that I crocheted for my daughter.  When shopping with my sister I came across some nice looking plastic fruit.  They are now snug and warm for the winter.  It was fun to sit watching a tv show and be creative.  Hmm, now to shop for a few more fruits....  (sorry, patterns not available).
 A bit more progress on my Snowflake throw.  Five motifs attached in a row.  Visit Red Heart for video instruction on how to attach the motifs as you go along.  Video 3 is now up.
Last week I showed you the quilt top that I had started on using a technique shown by Ricky Times in his  book Convergence Quilts.   It was a little blah and needed something to spice it up.  Since there was a sun motif in the original print, I felt that the sun needed to rise once again.  I found a sun online and traced it onto a double layer of a washable plastic like material.  I used 'embossed cold water soluble topping form for embroidery' from Marathon threads Canada.  Then I selected a variety of embroidery threads and started having fun.  First picture shows one colour stitched.


All stitched and rinsed, now to let it dry.


At this point I suggest you move the pieces to a clear piece of plastic and arrange it as it will be on the finished project.  The clear plastic will allow you to move it around on the quilt top and find the best position.  I have shown it here on white paper so you can see the pieces better.

Pieces are now stitched down with additional thread. I did n't want to sew it on the fabric in the first place as the embroidery tends to pull up the fabric a bit and I didn't want that happening.  Hope to be back in the next few weeks with more progress.

Plans for next week are for a one woman quilt show. While I was at my mother's last week, I asked her to pull out some of her projects so I could take photos.    You are definitely in for a treat when I get this online show ready.  Fingers crossed that it will be next Tuesday.

What have you been up to this past week.  Are you starting a new project?  Add a comment with a link to your recent post.

Rikki, over at Rikki's Teleidoscope has some pretty flowers that she has crocheted.  She is also looking for information about making hairpin lace.  Visit and leave her a comment if you have tried this crochet technique.

Sherrie over at Just Books is keeping focused.  Her granny square project is moving along nicely.

8 comments:

Linda said...

The technique you used for making the sun design is new to me. Very cool!!

Rikki said...

A banana cozy, how cute is that?
My post for today is here: http://www.rikkidonovan.com/index.php/2011/11/01/needlework-tuesday-crochet-flowers/

Jo-Jo said...

I have way too many projects going on also, and it's hard to refrain from starting any more!

Ann Summerville said...

Lovely.
Ann

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
You've been busy. Your fruit covers are cute. Love that snowflake throw, going to be beautiful. Your quilt is awesome! My Needlework Tuesday is posted. Added more to my Granny Square Afghan. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Cheryl (Grandma Coco) said...

Your yarn shows off the pattern well (in the scarf). Your snowflakes are really, really pretty. Must. Resist. Starting. Anything. Else. :) ...... at least for the moment.

Threeundertwo said...

I love your projects! Now I want to go make fruit cozies. Cute stuff.

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt, but I am not sure you have sold your fruit covers to me ;)