Saturday 12 November 2011

Blameless by Gail Carriger

Lady Alexia Maccon should have been at home with her husband Conall celebrating her pregnancy; instead she is traipsing across Europe with her ever unflappable butler Floote and  with her female inventor friend Genevieve Lefoux. It seems that Lord Maccon, as well as the rest of knowledgeable society, believe that an essentially dead werewolf couldn't sire legitimate offspring. Yet, for some unknown reason this pregnancy is not being celebrated amoung the supernaturals of London.  Sorry, I don't feel that I can say more without getting into some serious plot activities.
This third installment of the Parasol Protectorate series has brought back some of my favourite characters.  Of course, Alexia is in more than fine form.  She is peeved at her husband, yet misses him at every turn, even though she is not prepared to admit such to anyone.  For much of the book, it is Lord Akeldama absence that keeps me guessing.  He is such a staunch supporter of Alexia, yet when he is needed most, he is nowhere to be found.  And finally there is Floote, butler/secretary/librarian.  He worked with/for  Alexia's father for years and he is there for her.  He has depths that this story just starts to touch on.

I loved this book.  I poured through it and found myself near the end long before I was ready.  There was so much build up of events, that I found the final resolution a bit too quick.  I had expected Lord Maccon to play more of a role in the final events.  Even though I wanted more, the solution to the 'events' was quite in fitting with the characters involved.  I am now looking forward to listening to the audiobook version of Heartless, the forth novel in this series.

For those who have read this book, in the future I will not be looking at ladybugswith the same indifference.
This is the third book in the Parasol Protectorate series.
Heartless

1 comment:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Sounds promosing, thanks for the recommendation Heather.