Saturday 14 January 2012

Weekend Cooking: Curried Squash and Carrot Soup

I was at my parents for few days earlier this week. Shortly after I arrived, my mother showed  me a soup recipe she had taken from her newspaper  the previous weekend.  I took this as a nudge that she and my father would like me to make it for dinner.  The combination of curry, butternut squash and carrots was very appealing.  Since I hadn't made a soup were you roasted the vegetables before hand, I was ready to try this.

The first photo shows the vegetables ready to go in the oven.  I had to keep checking their progress to ensure that the onions didn't burn.

Curried Squash and Carrot Soup  (printable version at this link)
by Jill Wilcox, columnist for the London Free Press
Serves 8-10
  • 2 tbsp. (25 ml) vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp. (25 ml) melted butter
  • 1 cooking onion, peeled and cut in quarters
  • 4 cups (1L) peeled, cubed butternut squash
  • 3 cups (750 ml) of carrots cut into 2- inch (5 cm) pieces
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 to 2 tsp. (7 – 10 ml) curry powder or garam masala
  • 6 cups (1.5L) chicken or vegetable broth
  • plain yogurt for garnish
  • cilantro for garnish

 1. Combine half of the vegetable oil, butter, onion, squash and carrots in a large bowl. Gently toss.

 2. Place on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F. oven for 30 minutes or until just starting to caramelize. (Make sure the onion does not burn).

 3. Place remaining oil in a stock pot and heat over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft.

 4. Add the curry powder and cook a further minute. Add the vegetables and broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.

 5. Puree the soup with an immersion blender until very smooth. If the soup is too thick, add some additional broth.

 6. Season with salt to taste.

 7. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprig of cilantro.

  

Sorry the photo is sideways, I tried to write this post on my Playbook, and couldn't figure out how to rotate the photo.

Kate asked how this would turn out without pureeing it.  I did it in the blender and it did leave some chunks.  They didn't bother us a bit.  If you were not going to puree, I would cut the chunks smaller, I left them rather large.  I would definitely dice the onion and probably cook that part in the soup pot along with the garlic and only roast the squash and carrots.  As for cutting the squash.  I slice it into 3/4 to 1 inch rings.  Lay them flat then slice off the skin.  You can't do it safely as a huge vegetable.  Once the peel is off, I chop it into pieces and then remove the stringy insides.

Looking for additional soup recipes, visit my earlier post, "The Great Soup Recipe Hunt", for over 25 links.


For more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking post. 

12 comments:

Beth F said...

I love curry and rood vegetable soups. The roasting would add a depth of flavor I know I'd like. Bookmarking this one.

Kate said...

This looks delightful! We still have butternut squash showing up at the farmer's market every now and again, and it's definitely soup season.

Two questions: How do you think this would go without pureeing it? Any tips on cutting up the squash? Even when my knife is in tip-top-sharp shape, it still kills me.

Thanks!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

This is the second recipe for carrot soup I have seen this week. I think someone is trying to tell me something.

Joy Weese Moll said...

I think I would really like this, too, with roasted vegetables and curry. What a terrific winter dish!

Cheryl (Grandma Coco) said...

I'll bet this was tasty! I think we'll have to try it. Thanks.

caite said...

I make a curry and pumpkin soup (using canned pumpkin) which is delicious and I bet this would be too.

Margot said...

Excellent combination of ingredients. I've never roasted veggies before making them into soup, but it sounds so good.

Uniflame said...

I love butternut squash! Never had it with carrots in a soup before, but I think that will be a really tasty combination :)

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

That looks so good...and so healthy.

Vicki said...

I just recently was introduced to curry powder when I ordered Chicken Curry at a restaurant. It was so good that I'm hooked and am always looking for more recipes that call for curry.

I'll be adding this recipe to my list!
Here's Mine

Melissa said...

This sounds so good. I love butternut squash. And curry. And soup... ;)

sewnut said...

mmm. looks good. I think it will be Friday's dinner. My man will eat anything that is curried - even squash!