Tuesday 31 January 2012

Needlework Tuesday - Hidden Penguin

Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.


I have a wonderful 'finish' to share with you today.  I can't take any credit as it was made by Sherrie from Just Books.  Last last year she started crocheting hexagons.  On Monday she sent me an image of her completed project.  If I were at her house I would have it pulled off the back of the sofa and spread over my legs while I sat with her sipping tea and talking books.
 


My finish is on a much more modest scale.  Last week I showed you a small piece made from tiny 1/2 square triangles.  I added two borders and echo quilted it with a penguin design that I borrowed from Penguin Books.  I will need to contact Penguin for permission to display this quilt.  My guild has a show in May and it would violate their copyright if I were to exhibit without permission. The little guy still needs a bead to emphasise his eye.  Measures 11 1/2 inches square.  Polydown batting.  My daughter will be hanging this cutie in her room.
 Snowballs and 9-Patches.  These are the result of a swap that I hosted some years ago (five or more).   As I recall, we were supposed to use autumn colours.  I would love to live where pink is an autumn colour.  I needed to find a way to fit in those whites and make them fit in.   I pieced one more snowball with a muslin middle and two more 9-Patches with 4 white pieces.
I still need one further 9-Patch and two more snowballs. I'm pretty happy with the layout, but need to balance the 9-Patches on the left side.  They are a bit dark.  I will continue to work on the sashing.  I want this to be larger.  The blocks are six  inches  so this would be a 36" quilt, not big enough to be a lap quilt.
 Not one to linger over a project, I have a new one in the offing.  While mother and I were fabric shopping last week we came across this large scale print.  We knew it would be perfect for a technique we were wanting to try.  Mom was going to buy some and give it a try. I thought it would be fun to make the same one so also bought a length.  We have challenged each other to finish the project by December 2012.


While I was wandering and visiting some online friends, I stopped to admire their work. 

Mira at Milk and Honey Quilts is hand quilting her feed sack Wedding Ring Quilt.

Have ;you been thinking Red for Valentines Day.  Elly at Mad 4 Patchwork has beat us there.  She has pieced some lovely red blocks.

Please take some time from your stitching and leave a comment sharing your current project.

9 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love your quilts and the new fabric you got is beautiful, can't wait to see what you do with it. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Linda said...

I love how your 9patch/snowball is turning out. Here is my first finish for 2012. Its a UFO from 2010. http://bumbleknit.blogspot.com/2012/01/first-finish-for-2012.html

Peggy@Peggy Ann's Post said...

Lovely Heather!

Threeundertwo said...

That Afghan is so gorgeous. (I'm typing this on my kindle fire and it insists on capitalizing Afghan).

I was late to post this week. Still working on my big cross stitch.

Joan said...

hi how are you? its awards time again, pop over to my blog to claim yours
thankyou Joan

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Such beautiful colours, I especially love the mustardy yellow of that small sampler.

Elly D said...

Your little quilt is so gorgeous! I've been thinking about this colour combo a while.
Look forward to seeing what you do with those snowball and 9 patch blocks..

stujallen said...

love the penguin wonderful ,all the best stu

AJ Godinho said...

These quilts are awesome, Heather, and I especially like the little one! My mom was into sewing clothes when I was a teenager and I used to help here out. I remember making a quilt from the scarp cloths that we left over from her sewing. She still has it with her.