Tuesday 24 January 2012

Needlework Tuesday - Finishes Sure Feel Good

Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.

I still am feeling this very strong urge to finish outstanding projects.  Ones that are closest to completion top my list.  This way I can get that satisfied feeling very quickly.  Last week I listed four such projects.  Yippee, they are all complete.


 
First boxers #1
Boxers # 2 & 3, for daughter. Love that plaid.
 Next up was a small wall hanging for my sister.  It is left over trimming from a bed size quilt (still un-quilted).  The tiny top was finished but it needed a quilt design.  Since it was oriental themed fabrics, I thought that an angular sashiko pattern would work.  I found an image online and strace it on tissue paper. I chose different colours of marker so it would be easy to follow the thread paths ensuring fewer ends.
 I pinned the tissue to the layered pieces and sewed on the lines with an almost pastel coloured variegated thread.  It didn't take too long to remove the paper.  I would have used the Golden Threads quilting paper, but couldn't find it where ever I have safely stored it.  Will have to buy an additional role as it does work well.
Trimmed and bound it measures approximately 6 1/2 inches x 8 1/2 inches.  I attached a jewelly 'oriental gate' to the front and voila, finished.  It does still need a small label and I'm planning to use a chop stick through loops at the top for hanging, then into an envelope for it's trip across the country to my sister.  Shhh, don't tell her, it's a surprise (she doesn't always read my blog so there is a chance of surprise).
What's up next?  This small orange and black project is made from leftover 1/2 triangle squares from stitch and flip style blocks.  It only measures 8 inches.  Needs a border or two and when finished will be for my daughter.  She loves Halloween and these colours perfectly fit the theme.  Now where is the quilt that these squares originated with?  Actually it is a partial top that is sitting at  my mothers.  She is going to add an additional border and will then return it to me for finishing.

While searching for the Golden Threads paper, I came across a bag full of 9 patch and snowball blocks.  When I opened it, I also found that I had made a diagram of the project I wanted to make with them.  There was also a detailed list of additional block units I would need to make to complete that design.  Wow, something I can work on.  It's already very scrappy, so no worry about matching any fabrics.  Come back next week and I'll include some photos and the story behind the blocks.

What did you work on this past week?  Did you finish something?  Share a link to your post, or send a private email with photos and I'll add them next week.   heatherdpear at hotmail dot com

And for Dorte who asked about a knitted book cover, yes, I am thinking about that for you.  Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job on the wall hanging Heather :).
Stay inspired!

Linda said...

Great finishes! I love how you used the different colours to trace your quilting path...very creative! I am working on my first finish for 2012, but I havent posted anything yet. Next week for sure.

Esme said...

What lovely patterns.

Jo-Jo said...

Congrats on finishing your projects...I really need to finish something soon!

Threeundertwo said...

LOVE these quilts! I get frustrated with removing paper after I quilt through it. You make me think I should try it again.

stujallen said...

love top boxer very jazzy design ,all the best stu