Wednesday 25 January 2012

Heartless: Book 4 The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger

Even at eight months pregnant, Lady Alexia Maccon is in fine form.  She may be a bit slower of movement, but her wit has not been dimmed. When a clearly mad ghost appears in front of her with a warning that the Queen is in danger, she charges right into her investigation.  I can just imagine the usually impeccably dressed Alexia, garbed as a cook, waddling door to door  in search of clues. 

Author Gail Carriger brings back a number of my favourite characters.  Rogue vampire Lord Akeldama shows the reader several sides that have not been hinted at before, and I'm not going to spoil the story by giving you any clues.  You'll have to read the story to believe them.  Of course, the unflappable Floote, butler/secretary/librarian is always at hand and ready to deal with Alexia's requests no matter how outlandish they might be.

I loved all the twists and turns of this novel.  I would never have expected the story line that developed with Lord Akeldama, and am eager for the next book, Timeless, to see what happens there.  I'd love to give you a clue about the Westminster Vampire Hive, but then that would be telling secrets.  You will not want to miss this change of events. 

The first three books in the series I read in paper, but this time I was lucky to have the audio version.  At first I was unsure of having a woman, Emily Gray, read all the male parts, but after a few chapters, I was quite comfortable with her 'masculine' voices.  She did an admirable job of the gruffness of Lord Maccon's voice as well as conveying the dandy in the various drones of Lord Akeldama's hive.  Paper or audio book, both versions work for me and I wouldn't hesitate to listen to further audio books ready by Ms. Gray.

Author Gail Carriger's website.

Thanks to Hachette Audio for the cover image and my review copy.

Books in this series:
(links to my reviews)
Soulless
Changeless
Blameless
Timeless  - due out March 1, 2012

4 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

A great review Heather AND I love the cover of this book, thanks for the recommendation.

Bibliotropic said...

I've wanted to read the Parasol Protectorate books for a while now. I keep hearing that they're quite good!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

Great review. Nice when you like it so much you can't wait for the next one!

Dorte H said...

A heavily pregnant cook & sleuth? Ha, this one sounds fun.