Tuesday 10 January 2012

Needlework Tuesday: Doughnuts and Icecream

Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.

What a whirlwind of activities these past few weeks.  Amid the baking, visiting and feasting, I did manage to find a bit of time with my crochet hook and knitting needles.  I was working on those lovely doughnuts.  For details see my earlier post: No Calorie Doughnuts

The winner of the contest for a couple of these beauties is : Peggy.  I've sent her a private email.

This week's post is mostly visual, hope you enjoy this calorie free feast.





Boston Cream and Raspberry Jam Filled


Military or Camo (for my nephew)


Chocolate Mint (for my father)


My daughter gave me a pedestal cake dish for Christmas, so I made more doughnuts.


Chocolate Cherry (back right, for daughter)

My cousin is getting married in March and I was in need of an addition to go with her gift.  Since she and her fiance  own and ice cream shop, Ricky's Big Scoop in Thorald, Ontario,  I had to search out patterns for ice cream cones.  I found two that I liked.  This crochet soft serve is from RedHeart.  Pattern is called: Chocolate Pie & Ice Cream.   
 I used RedHeart Super Saver for the entire project.  Colour 792 Sandy Print for the cone, and 316 Soft White for the ice cream.  It still needs a few beads for sprinkles.

Knitted ice cream cones are totally different.  Generally,  I prefer to knit, but for crafts like this, crocheting seems more flexible.  These are coming along well.  The pattern is from I Like Lemons, her Ravelry site. her blog.  In the pattern  you have a choice of two styles of cones: wafer/cake cones (left) and waffle (right).  You then have a choice of three types of ice cream.  There is a traditional scoop with a ruffle, that's the pink one that I am  working on, then there is a dipped version and finally you can knit a soft serve.  I need to have these finished for the bridal shower this Sunday, so I'll have pictures of these sweet treats next week.

Pretty well, every blog I visit this year, everyone is talking about their plans for the year.  I am going to keep mine modest, I want to finish stuff that I have already started.  That leaves it quite wide open to interpretation and I like that flexibility.  How do you approach your projects?  Do you work on them continuously start to finish, or are you like me, you start with the intent of finishing, but tend to get easily distracted along the way.  I have far too many projects that have gotten pushed to the side that haven't seen the light of day in months/years maybe even longer.  eeks.  This is why I get so excited when I actually finish something.

6 comments:

Peggy@Peggy Ann's Post said...

Thanks Heather! I am so excited. The ice cream cones are so cute too!

Cheryl (Grandma Coco) said...

Well, now, you already know I'm a flibertigibbet with the attention span of a flea! I bounce from project to project. The best ones get finished....eventually. Take heart!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Well done Peggy.

Such a great way of displaying the doughnuts Heather, they look wonderful as do those cornets.

Shelley said...

Ah, shucks Heather, with that blog title I thought you were going to share a new recipie for the diet lol!;)

Diana LaMarre said...

Those are so cute, Heather! I have never seen them before.

The ice cream cones sound perfect for the wedding couple. I bet they will be displayed in their shop.

Congratulations,Peggy!

Joan said...

yes congratulations peggy
lovely doughnuts and ice cream cones