Wednesday 25 April 2012

The Maze Runner by James Dashner



There has to be a way out; every maze must have a solution.  They have been searching for two years, yet the boys are no closer to solving this maze than they were when they first entered it.  Thomas's arrival in the glade, at the centre of the maze, appears to follow routine, at least for the next twenty-four hours, after which every pattern is broken and things start going crazy.

Thomas arrives in the maze with no idea of who he is and where he's been.  He feels totally lost and confused.  No one answers his questions, they brush them away with the excuse that he is the newbie, he just doesn't understand.  Of course he doesn't understand, none of the boys answer his inquiries.

While reading this novel I felt as though I was trapped in the maze with the boys.  I found my heart starting to race while Minho and Thomas were running to escape the grievers. I still don't know what grievers really are, but they are horribly nasty creatures.  I felt anxious each time they approached a corner of the maze.  In fact, I felt like Thomas, so many questions and very few answers. 

The glade itself is a fairly straightforward place.  Rather simple in fact.  It has housing, farming, and a forest with a burial yard.  The maze and it's reason for existence is complicated.  Then there is a world beyond.  What is happening out there and how does it  result in the boys being locked in the maze.  This story gives me lots to ponder and look forward to.  There are two further novels in this series: The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure.  Coming in August 2012 is the prequel The Kill Order.
Thanks to Random House for the use of the cover image.

1 comment:

Karen Greenberg said...

That sounds great. I keep meaning to put it on my to-be-read list. I think I'll head to the library website and do that now!