Tuesday 24 April 2012

Needlework Tuesday - Stitching Bit by Bit

Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.

 My Amalia scarf is growing slowly.  Since I reached the halfway point of the edging, I am getting a bit excited.  I can see that I will get this section completed.  Yippee.  For a while it was seeming as though it would never get done, but now I can see into the future (I wish) and imagine it being completed.  I am in the middle of motif 16.

Yesterday I went on a short road trip with a friend.  She is not a knitter, but she was game to go to Listowel and visit The Yarn Factory Outlet.  They carry a huge assortment of yarns by Bernat, Lily, Patons and Phentex.  Of course, I had to make several purchases.  Almost immediately upon arriving home, I started o n a scarf for my daughter using Bernat Twist & Twirl.  These ruffle scarves are cute, though I must admit, that they really don't work for me.  i can't imagine myself wearing one.  This style knits up very fast. 


 A few weeks I showed you the start of my Faded Charms quilt.  I have all the sections pieced and after a week or two of hesitation, have started the machine quilting.  I am using a technique described by Keryn Emmerson in her book Beautiful Quilts as You Go.  I am doing the "Sew and Flip" method.  In this first photo, I have the centre part of the top layered, I have ironed on some freezer paper motifs that I will outline quilt and have used a blue disappearing marker to trace the lines for the pale mauve border.

On the top side I am using a variegated mauve to purple thread from Guterman and on the back a dove grey from Wonderfil.  The quilting motifs are from The Quiltmaker Collection: Quilting Motifs Volume 8.  The one shown by the freezer paper is titled Plump Plume, page 57 and the border is Curled Up, page 58.

After Quilting
Reverse side

 Next step is to add the next section.  In this case, I am adding a section of four rows of charms and a strip of mauve border.  I am going to use the same motif from the centre, though they will be oriented along the length of the strip.  I'll have more photos for you next week.

4 comments:

Peggy Ann said...

You have a very lucky daughter to have such a creative mom! I love the twist and twirl scraf! I have never learned to knit or crochet and would love to learn both. There is only so much you can do with cross stitch.

Martha @ Hey, I want to read that said...

I love the ruffle scarf but I couldn't get away with one. I love the idea for my daughter though. I wish I had even a inch of your talent (or let's be honest-patients). What lovely work you do. I'm so jealous.

Roslyn said...

I am passing to you the Liebster Award, check your email for details!

Deanna said...

Oh, your Fading Charms is looking GREAT! The quilting is lovely and really highlights the space in the sashing--such detail.