Monday 30 April 2012

The Secret Me Book by Rachel Kempster and Meg Leder

  I love this book and it's cover. It is so bright and cheerful that it begs to be picked up and hugged. 

A few weeks ago I received a review copy of this journal.  As I was opening the envelope, I called out to my daughter that I had received a new book.  Being a teenager, she usually rolls her eyes and says "whatever" with a emphatic Kiwi accent.  This time she actually walked into the room, took one look at the book and grabbed it out of my hands and said, "this one's for me", then left the room with while fanning through the pages.  I didn't see the book for over two weeks.  I had to go and excavate in her backpack to find it again.  I noticed that she had boldly inscribed the inside cover in the area that says "This secret book belongs to _________" with her name.  Several other pages are covered with her distinctive script in various bright coloured inks.

Don't be thinking that this book is only for teens, it will appeal to all ages.  It gives you a chance to explore and celebrate what it is that you truly like.  Do you have a ready answer for when you are asked about your favourite movie, book, meal.  The pages in this journal will ask you dozens of questions and leaves you space to write, draw or doodle your reply. Use it how and when you want in the order of your choosing.  There are also survey pages where you will read the responses from others. 

You can keep this book a secret from everyone, or share it with your dearest friends, or leave it as a memory for your children and grandchildren.  However you use, have fun, and I would suggest buying an extra copy as you'll probably want to have a copy to give away to your favourite friend/teen/mother/aunt/son/nephew/niece etc.

Rachel and Meg's website

Thanks to Sourcebooks for my review copy and use of the cover image.

1 comment:

Marie said...

I have this book, too, but haven't had a chance to really go through it yet! I actually thought of your daughter when it arrived. I knew how much she liked the "Wreck This Journal" book and thought she'd probably like this one, too. I was right. ;)

Great review!