Saturday 14 April 2012

Memories Ain't What they Used to Be


My sister indulged us on Easter weekend with boxes of Lucky Elephant Pink Popcorn, from the Poppa Corn Corp.  What a stream of memories that brought.  Unfortunately the flavour is nothing compared to what it used to be forty plus years ago.  Back then it actually tasted pink.  Now it is a glazed candy coating that tastes sweet and nothing else.  The box and the look of the popcorn brought back the most pleasant memories, but the taste was something new and not memorable.  I do like that the box contains a nice sheet of glittery stickers instead of a useless plastic toy.  Oh well, guess I can't have everything.

Over at the blog Halfway Between Here and There, the author felt opposite to me.  Didn't like the old flavour and much prefers the new one.

Have you ever been excited to find a food that you haven't eaten in years, and then when you buy and taste it, it has changed, it no longer evokes the feelings you remember?  Leave a comment and share those memories.

For further foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking post.

12 comments:

caite said...

I never heard of this stuf...must be a Canadian thing.

Heather S-G said...

I've never heard of Pink Candy Popcorn. I do love finding foods that spark childhood memories, though. Fortunately I haven't really come across any that have changed, though. Bummer =(

jama said...

Hadn't heard of this candy popcorn either. Some of my favorite childhood foods haven't changed, they're totally gone! Chocolate Babies? Do they still make Frosty Malts?

Libby said...

Yes! My mom used to get us those little wax "bottles" with some kind of liquid inside...do you know what I am talking about? You bite off the top of the wax and drink the "stuff," and then chew on the wax a bit and spit it out! Anyway, I saw them at Cracker Barrel as an adult and got them. Disgusting. LOL!

Joy Weese Moll said...

I've never heard of this, either. Fun idea but too bad it doesn't have the right taste.

I've often been disappointed revisiting popcorn-based products from childhood. The popcorn is always stale.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

Twice I have found boxes of Quisp cereal in my grocery store and I got so excited. When I got them home ,though, the excitement was not quite what I recalled from my childhood.

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

I never heard of it but it sounds like fun! I'm sorry you were disappointed, hate when they change things, happens all the time these days. I do remember when they went and changed coke to new coke, that was terrible.

Beth F said...

I've never heard of this either. But I do find that my tastes have changed and favorite childhood sweets often don't appeal to my adult self anymore. Fun that you found this nostalgic treat.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I definitely think that our tastes mature a bit as we age! Probably a good thing. ;)

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Hi Heather, May I firstly apologise for not replying before now, its great to hear I was a winner of a postcard - would it be ok to let you decide on the colour of the flower sent as that would be a lovely surprise.

With regard to foods now available - as a girl I loved Galaxy Counters chocolates which came in a small white bag with a giraffe on the front. Unavailable for more years than I care to remember, we spotted them in the shops just over a year ago. Now in a family sized bag instead of a small one, they taste just as I remember them.

sewnut said...

I used to buy these for my sister too. I am a Cracker Jacks girl. Lucky that you had the fun of revisiting a childhood memory.

stujallen said...

I often find things never as good when you were a kid ,I had some parma violets recently a small sweet from uk for first time in years and felt they weren't like they uesd to be ,all the best stu