Saturday 2 April 2011

Weekend Cooking: Elmira Maple Syrup Festival 2011

This is the final weekend to enter my contest to win a lovely pair of brand new Sushi Socks.  Note that I have added two additonal prizes to the contest, both to be made by me out of amazing Sushi Fabric Click this link to go to the correct post where you only need to leave a comment to be entered.

Early this morning, we arose before the sun and headed in to town for the Elmira Maple Syrup Festival.  The tent flaps opened at 7am for fresh pancakes.  The regular population of Elmira is about 14 000, today that will swell with the additional of up to 70 000 visitors.  Yes, real busy.  I took the photos early before the hoards arrived otherwise all you see are heads and more heads.
 The main street is closed for a pedestrian mall.  Lots of eating and shopping to be had.

All the maple syrup products you can imagine.  Dozens of booths sellling syrup products and all at the same price.

Now for the main attraction.  Pancakes smoothered in syrup.


There are 6 of these long griddles that run from 7 am until the batter runs out. 

 I can't even guess how much pure maple syrup is used.  These juice jugs will be filled numerous times.  The big silver colour dispenser is full at this point as are the huge white buckets lined up on the ground.

I'm ready to dig into this giant.
(well, actually, mine did turn out to be smaller than most, usually they fill the bottom of the plate).

Daughter is just about finished hers.


All gone, boo hoo.

Some interesting signs.  And yes, the pickles are huge and they are jammed onto a stick. 

My dog is patiently waiting for food .



Hope that you have enjoyed my contribution to Weekend Cooking which is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.  Click on over there for  links to a fun assortment of foodie related posts.  Add a link to your recent foodie post.

17 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

Mmm, maple syrup! I love your sushi socks. :)

TheBookGirl said...

so does the dog prefer maple syrup or the pickles? My dog has the biggest sweet tooth :)

Anya said...

There's nothing like real maple syrup! My family won't use anything else. Sounds like a great time!

Beth F said...

What a fun-looking event. I am maple crazy -- just *love* the flavor. I have never been to a maple festival though. I may just have to plan a trip around one.

Giant pickle on a stick? Too funny.

Margot said...

Your maple festival looks like a lot of fun and lots of good eating. I'll bet the whole town is a parking lot with that many people. Hard to imagine 70,000 descending on 14,000. Looks like it's all for a good cause.

Nan said...

70,000 people!! That's amazing. Great pictures, especially the dog. :<)

Chinoiseries said...

Oh yum, maple syrup (on pancakes... double yum!) :D Amazing festival, I would've loved to be there. Are the pancakes covered (lol, smothered) in maple syrup, or is the syrup also added to the batter?
And the pickle on a stick, is that how one should eat it? Without any other condiments? Hm, I guess the pickle is the "main" and the condiment ;)

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
It all looks so yummy. And I love pancakes and good maple syrup. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Joy Weese Moll said...

This looks like fun! I'm another big fan of maple syrup. It's one of my favorite sweeteners, especially in baking.

Rikki said...

What a fun festival. I would probably eat all day!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

That looks like such a fantastic day! Heavenly! Bet it smelled so good. Your daughter looks like she's enjoying. Great shot! Cute pup :)

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

What a great day! Everything maple syrup, plus other yummy foods, quilts, toys, and just getting out and about after a long winter.

Nothing but maple syrup in our house, although I only rarely get a bottle of true local syrup.

Gina said...

Ha! Loving the sushi socks...too cute! A syrup festival...really? Sounds like fun....sweet fun, but fun nonetheless. Hope everyone had a fabulous time! thanks for sharing the experience.... ^_^

Chinoiseries said...

It's all your fault, Heather, now everytime I see pancakes mentioned, I'm thinking of you, and pancakes oozing with maple syrup! ;)

Like this:
http://www.freshtart.net/Orange-Yogurt-Pancakes-15088106

Heather said...

Saturday was the best day ever for the Maple Syrup Festival. Crowds were calculated at 80 000 visitors. That should generate over $50 000. for the various charities that help run the festival. wow!!!

I looked at the Orange Yogurt Pancakes recipe suggested above and they do look yummy, I wouldn't use the fancy plate though as I might lose some of the precious syrup through those design holes.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

what a wonderful sounding event, thanks for my armchair tour.

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

What a fun and yummy weekend. I can almost smell the maple syrup. I'm glad you had such a good time with your daughter.