Saturday 16 April 2011

Postcards from Penguin

This is the coolest none book book that I've bought in  a long time.  You see, it's not really a book, though it does have a cover that opens  and an ISBN 978-0-141-04466-8 on the back.    In fact, this nifty little box contains the images of 100 book covers published by Penguin in the past 75 years.  Wow, a whole library in a small packet.

Inside the cover is a short message of how Penguin books came into being.  It tells the story of Allen Lane who was looking for a good book to read on the train.  He felt that a good book should be affordable, but should also look good and distinctive. The final line of the message says: "Sometimes, you definitely should judge a book by its cover." 

Below I have posted pics of a few of the postcards that jumped out at me.  I can't wait to start sending these out to my bookish friends.  Don't you just wish that one of these would land in your mail box.  Leave a comment and you never know, maybe one will.


5 comments:

Marie Cloutier said...

Want! That's so cool :-) It would be fun to make a collage of the whole set.

Dorte H said...

Wow! Another brilliant Penguin idea. How cool is that.

Anonymous said...

Love it, postcards + books = perfect.

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

Very cool. What a great idea. I don't know which I see are my favorite but I think the bottom three fight for first place.

Anonymous said...

I love these I brought two when they came out one use and another to save unopened ,all the best stu