Monday 18 April 2011

Demon Princess: Reign Check by Michelle Rowen

I needed a break from some of the heavier books that I have been reading, so I wandered over to daughter's new bookshelf to see what she might have finished.  She handed me a copy of Demon Princess.  She had received this review copy from Penguin and apparently I hadn't held up my share of the bargain, she would review books on her blog, but I needed to review some of the same books on my blog.
This is definitely a YA novel, but it has enough depth to the main characters to keep an older reader involved. 

It was just one week since sixteen year old Nikki had found out that she was a demon and that her father is the demon king of the Shadowlands.  This means that Nikki is a princess.  Not the kind of pressure that a high school girl needs.  Thankfully she has a wonderful friend Melinda at her side.  To complicate matters, Rhys, the king of the Faery realm, has just enrolled at her school.  Even though she already has a boyfriend, who lives in her father's kingdom, Nikki is oddly attracted to Rhys yet loathes him at the same time.

I enjoyed this story from the first pages.  I didn't feel confused by not having read the first book in the series: Demon Princess: Reign or Shine, though I do want to go and purchase it for my daughter (I won't be allowed to read it until she has done so).  Nikki and Melinda come across as true friends.   Melinda is part of the 'in' crowd, but she doesn't dump Nikki when urged to do so by the rest of that crowd.  All the interaction between Rhys and Nikki comes with double meanings.  While they know that each of them live in two different worlds, no one else at the school does.  What a challenge to keep stories straight for them. 

I am not sure that I trust Michael, the boyfriend from the Shadowlands.  He's a shadow and we don't really learn much about them.  He is also distrustful of Rhys's intentions and keeps an eye on him.  yes, jealousy even in the otherworld.  At this time I am leaning toward Team Rhys.

A number of questions are answered by the close of this book, but there a few biggies left dangling.  There must be a third book in the works.  Visit author Michelle Rowen's website and her blog for hints.  I haven't found them yet, but then I haven't read all her recent posts.
Thanks to Penguin Books for mydaughter's review copy and for the second cover image.  I love this second cover image.  The glittery red heart is very appealing.

DEMON PRINCESS REIGN CHECK

No comments: