Saturday 30 April 2011

Zebra Cake - No Zebra required

We were having guests last Friday and I needed something with chocolate.  My girlfriend Janet adores chocolate.  We had already finished the huge bag of Lindt truffles, so what's a girl to do.  Make them eat cake.  Browsing through one of my favourites Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman, I spied her recipe for a white and chocolate cake called "Zebra Cake".  Click on the book title for my earlier review.  Perfect.  Making the batter is no different from any other basic cake.  Once the white batter is complete, measure out about 1/3 of it to a separate bowl and add 2 tbsp of dutch process cocoa, this makes a darker batter.  Then fill the pan alternating dark and light. 


Once you have used up all your batter, oven time.  Note, It did take me about 15 -20 minute to get the batter in the pan.  My batter seemed way too thick so it was very slow to spread.

Ready to Serve.


Very Yummy and it looks special without doing anything else.  My guests were impressed. Though they were almost arguing with me on how I put the batter in the pan.  They thought I must have done something very tricky.  A quick google search will turn up all sorts of recipes for this cake.  I don't have permission from the publisher to share the one I used.


For more foodie fun, hop on over to Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking meme.  I always am entertained and educated when I visit.

16 comments:

Uniflame said...

Oooh this looks great!!

I might give this a try. There is plenty of Dutch cocoa powder to get here in the Netherlands! ^^

Margot said...

The cake looks delicious. I like the video and it clarifies the method. I've never seen a cake dome that way before. It looks very good with the strawberries.

Dorte H said...

Ah, what a beautiful cake. In Denmark we have a similar kind of cake, but we call it a marble cake (one of the few ones I actually know how to produce :D)

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this before but it looks yummy and easy enough!

caite said...

clever..and yummy looking

Col (Col Reads) said...

What a lovely looking cake!

Beth F said...

How very clever indeed. I had no idea how this was done -- looks like it wouldn't be that hard to do and the effect is great.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

"no zebra required" LOL!

Cake and fresh fruit is a winning dessert combo ... of course your friend enjoyed it :)

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Looks so good! Cool how you made the swirls, it came out great!

Anonymous said...

that cake looks lovely ,all the best stu

TheBookGirl said...

I'm really impressed that you can get such good results without the use of a special pan!
Looks delicious...

Diana LaMarre said...

Oh, wow, Heather, that is so interesting. It would be a perfect dessert for my Safari table! I will certainly be trying this one. Thanks so much for sharing.

Joy Weese Moll said...

That's pretty as a whole cake and even more attractive sliced. Thanks!

Chinoiseries said...

This reminds me of marble cake, but it's infinitely prettier :) Wish I could have a slice!

bermudaonion said...

It does look like a lot of work getting it in the pan, but the end result seems like it was worth it.

Darlene said...

This looks fantastic and not too hard to put together either. Thanks for sharing it!