Tuesday 19 April 2011

Needlework Tuesday - Embroidered Scribbles

 Thanks for joining me for my regular Needlework Tuesday post.  I have spent much of the past week carefully embroidering squares for the Scribbling Women quilt.  There is nothing difficult about this embroidery; I just need to keep each stitch small in order to keep the detail of the letters.

In this first photo, I made Isabella's signature in a bit smaller size of font.
 From the book Scribbling Women I learned that Sei Shonagon often made lists.  Of course that meant that I had to make a list for this quilt. I tried using a nice orange for the embroidery, but it looked rather washed out on this beige fabric.  I changed to the brown and am much happier.  The capital letters at the beginning of each point will be embroidered with one strand of brown and one of that lovely metallic I showed you last week. 
I found this package of beads in the grocery store of all places.  The purple is just the right shade to all a little surprise on the quilt.

I sent letters to several more women this week, inviting them to participate in this virtual quilt bee.  It is encouraging when I receive a response, particularly when it's of the positive nature.  A few ladies have told me they are working on their contribution and I am excitedly waiting to see what they pen.  You all will be the first people I share these contributions with. 

I still have space for a few more writings to round out this project. I'll be back next week with another update.

You are invited to join me here for Needlework Tuesday.  Sharing your projects with others is a great way to encourage you to keep at your needlework.  Knowing that my many online friends are coming back the next week to view my progress, keeps me stitching .

Tami at Just One More Thing has posted some pics of the wonderful Christmas stockings she has cross-stitched.  Great progress on the next one for her grandson.

Marie at Daisy's Book Journal was moving items to higher ground in preparation for possible flooding when she re-discovered a box of 'crafts'.  She reveals these colourful items in her post.

Rikki over at Rikki's Teleidoscope has been working on her stole.  She has posted pictures showing the wonderful variations in the colour of the yarn.

6 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Good to hear more about your scribbles. How pretty are those beads and to find them in a grocery shop of all places.

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

Wow, you do lovely work. This is how I know I could never do this, the patience you must have to do that-well, like I said, wow. I love your beads what great shades of purple. I can' t wait to see them in use.

Tami said...

Your project sounds amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product. A touch of purple adds to ANY project!

You can see my progress on the cross-stitch Christmas stockings at www.tdreads.blogspot.com (...Just One More Thing)

Thanks again for hosting Needlework Tuesday.

Marie said...

Great work Heather! Love the beads. I can't wait to see this finished.

Rikki said...

Your quilt project is coming along nicely. Love the beads idea. My post is here:
http://www.rikkidonovan.com/index.php/2011/04/19/needlework-tuesday-stole-progress/

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
I love the idea of this quilt. Your embroidery is beautifully done. I may have to take it up again. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books