Tuesday 29 November 2011

Needlework Tuesday - One Woman Quilt Show

Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.

Today I have a special treat for you.  I am hosting a one woman quilt show featuring some of the many quilts made by my mother, Elaine.
This is my mom, and she is a quilter.  She is holding her "Out and About" bag  designed by Brenda Miller of Among Brenda's Quilts.
Mom wasn't a quilter when I asked her to go to Paducha with me in April 2000 (?).  At the shows that week she watched to paper piecing demonstrations intently, bought a few patterns and came home and set to work.  It wasn't long before she mastered that technique by practicing on a whole bunch of potholders.

"Peace".  This neutrals quilt was adapted from a pattern by Joan Barnett.  Measures 22 x 30".  This was given to her mother-in-law Sophie.  When she moved to a retirement home, she gifted it to me. 
In 2005 I hosted a 'no sew' block swap.  I selected the pattern "Easy Flower" from Quilter's Cache.  Participants were to cut the flower and leave pieces and mail them to their swap partners.  Once you received all your swaps, you picked your background fabric, and started sewing.  Mom chose this lovely pink for her back ground.  The finished piece measures about 42" square and adorns the table in her living room.

"Hidden Garden"  May 2006
Block Pattern - Rosie's Calico Cupboard
this was a challenge from the London Friendship Quilters for their 25th anniversary.  You had to use 25 different fabrics and measure 25" on a side.


"Christmas Butterflies" Aug 2006
from the book Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth.

When entered in the Western Fair in London, Ontario, it received a 2nd place ribbon.

This is the quilt that I have been sleeping under when I stay at my parents.  Not quite a twin size.

Most of the fabrics in this quilt were from an 'uglies' swap held at a quilt retreat.  We started with 1 metre of fabric each and quickly passed them around the circle.  When the music stopped, you ripped the fabric in half.  When the music started, you kept one of the now half metre pieces and passed the other.  Again, when the music stopped, you ripped the fabric in half, resulting in two fat quarters.  Kept one and passed the other.  This continued until we were down to a 5x5 inch piece.  You ended up with a very mixed assortment of fabrics in a number of sizes, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, all useable.  You were allowed to add more fabrics as needed but were supposed to use as much of the swapped ones as possible. 

Made for Grandson Ben.  Large lap size.  2007


These wonderful safari animals belong to Grandson Sam.  When mother was making this quilt, Sam saw it and asked who it was for.  When he heard it didn't have an owner yet, he asked if he could have it. 

This African inspired quilt belongs to Grandson Andrew (my son).  It is a large lap size with wonderfully soft fleece on the back.   Next photo shows a close-up of the fabrics.

"Bento Box" 2007 from the pattern with the same name designed by Tracy Brookshier.  Was the result of a class taken at Reichard: The Quilter's Shop, St. Jacobs, Ontario (when it was still located in Elmira, Ontario).  It was entered in the Western Fair, London, Ontario and won the 1st place ribbon and was the Reserve Champion (it would have moved onto the provincials if the overall winner had backed out).

"The Gift" September 2008.  I participated in a 'no-sew' block swap and asked for Christmas fabrics.  I then gave all the block kits to my mother for Christmas that year.  She put them all together and this lovely quilt is the result.

Belongs to Grandson Paul.  Measures less than 200 inch perimetre.  Pattern source: unknown internet.

This was a President's Challenge from the London Friendship Quilters.  Had to use a given fat quarter and the perimetre was to be no more than 200 inches.
Belongs to Granddaughter Shannon (my daughter).  2008  pattern unknow.

Belonged to Grandson Alex. 2009.  Unfortunately Alex passed away July 4, 2011.  The quilt now resides with his mother (my sister).
Belongs to Great-Niece Alyssa.  2009  Pattern by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.
I love the embroidered labels that my mom makes. 

Belongs to Great Niece Shae (Alyssa's younger sister).

Belongs to Great Niece Tessa, youngest sister of Alyssa and Shae.
The girls love it that my mom used some of the same fabrics in each of their quilts.

It doesn't show all that well in this photo, but the little girl is machine embroidered.  I think she is almost as adorable as the Great Nieces. 

Thanks to my cousin Tyler for the photos of his daughters quilts.
Thanks to my son Andrew for the photos of the quilts for Alex, Ben, Sam and Paul.

I have shared with you half of the quilt show.  Be sure to return next week for more.  Mom has been very busy in 2010 and 2011 and has lots more to share.

Part 2 of the show continues here.

Sorry I don't have the pattern names for some of the quilts.  If and when I find them, I will add them to the post.  I apologize to any designers I have missed.

I know that your fingers haven't been still this week.  Leave a comment and let me know what you have been working on, better yet, leave a link to your current needlework post and I'll add you in.

Sherrie over at Just Books has finished her Granny Square project and started making hexagons. She has some lovely photos posted.

7 comments:

Anya said...

Thanks for sharing your mom's lovely work!

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Your mom's quilts are awesome! They are all very pretty. Love her quilt labels. My Needlework Tuesday is posted. I've finished my Granny Square Blanket and started a new project. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Lovely to have met your mom. Beautiful quilts, its now obvious where you get your talent from.

Cheryl (Grandma Coco) said...

So many beautiful quilts! Bento Box is my favourite. I love all the embroidered labels, too. Thanks for sharing these.

Linda said...

Your Mother is awesome! What a quilter. I love her special labels. Thanks for show.

Marie said...

Wonderful! Your mother is terrific and does such great work. It's hard to believe she hasn't been quilting that long. Both of you inspire me.

Quilter Kathy said...

WHat a great quilt show! I just love when a non-quilter falls in love with quilting and goes on to be so prolific!