Tuesday 30 April 2013

Needlework Tuesday - Mysteries Abound



 
Oh drat, i thought I had this schedualed for 9am this morning, but instead I set it for 9pm.  Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
This past week has been quite busy.  Son is home from college and daughter belongs to many groups, it seems I was continually out with one or the other.  I still managed to find a wee bit of time for stitching.

The mystery quilt, which I won't name, is moving toward completion.  Last week I showed you block one, this week block two.  These make up the central portion of the quilt.  I am working on border three, which is pieced and should be complete by the weekend.  The big unveiling will be at my guild meeting early in June and I'll have photos of everyones' tops.
 


One of my online guilds, The Canadian Quilt Swappers (Yahoo groups) has started a quick mystery.  It uses five fq's and will finish at 25 inches square.  The yellow is my background colour.  Step 1 involved selecting out fabrics.

Step 2 did all the cutting, though I haven't cut the binding strips as I haven't decided on how wide I want them.
Step three arrived on Friday and involved sewing a lot of half square triangles.  All of them were cut over sized and had to be trimmed. Oh how I dispise doing that.  I'd much rather cut and sew accuratly that risk a ruler slip and have to re- cut and sew.  Now I must wait till Friday for step four.


I am still stitching fan blades together and trimming them.  I sent a second email to QuiltKing to enquire about the defectiveDresden Plate  quilt kit, but they haven`t responded.  I asked either for a replacement kit or for them to sponsor a kit give away on my blog so that my readers could be reassured that they stand by the quality of their kits.  I`ll let their lack of response speak for itself.

Tomorrow, mom and I are taking a Zentangle class at Creative Sisters,  a quilt shop in the next town.  I`m really hoping that the instructor will relate it back to quilting and not just leave it on paper.  I`ll have some samples for you next week.


What are you working on this week, did you start a new project or are you finishing one

Tami at Just One More Thing, has posted a 'finish' today.

4 comments:

Rikki said...

I am looking forward to the big reveal, Heather.
I posted about a little cross stitch project of my son's:
http://www.rikkidonovan.com/index.php/2013/04/30/crafty-tuesdaycross-stitch-box-lid/

Peggy said...

Pretty colors in that first mystery quilt, can't wait to see its finish. The second one is intriguing as well - I disagree, prefer to cut my HST's larger and trim them down, because somehow I lose a little bit EVERY time I make one.

Marie said...

Nice! I love the colour combinations for both of these quilts.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

So easy to set the timer wrong - in my experience no matter what time or date I schedule posts for they seem to appear as and when

Also loving all those lovely colours, so bright and cheerful.