Friday 11 February 2011

The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan

Every year millions of people visit Niagara Falls. It continues to be one of the top tourist destinations.  If you've ever been there, you understand why.  To stand at the brink of the Falls watching more than six million cubic feet cascade over the edge every minute is mine boggling.  It is not a sight you will soon forget.

Author Cathy Buchanan has truly captured the majesty and excitement of the area in her novel The Day the Falls Stood Still.

The story is set in the time of World War 1 and the years afterward.  Young Bess Heath has one year of school at Loretto Academy left, when her mother removes her from the school.

Her father had been working for the hydro company and has recently lost his job.  Her sister's engagement has been broken.  The whole family is trying to find themselves again.  Into all this turmoil, add a young man that Bess has spied in the area.

I was transfixed by this book.  I suppose it had to do with having grown up only fifteen minutes away from the falls.  It was a common occurrence at my house to jump in the car to go and see the 'lights' at night, to go and see if the ice bridge had closed across the river below the fall. to visit for any reason. 
I have watched a fair number of shows about Niagara Falls as well as stories that have been set in the town, and this book ranks at the top with the best of them.  Most definitely this is the book to read if you want to get a true feeling of what the area must have been like prior to it becoming a huge tourist mecca.

The character of Tom Cole is loosely based on true life river man Red HillAdditional information about Red Hill and the events and rescues he was involved in.
The next two pictures show the whirlpool.  The cable car crosses from Canada across the whirlpool to the other side which is also Canada.  The next picture, the corner of land sticking out from the right is the United States.


Niagara Falls Geology Facts and Figures.  I had to include this final picture.  It was taken December 29, 2010.  I was standing just underneath the lights that are aimed to illuminate the Falls at night.    The first two pictures were taken the same evening.  The middle three pictures were taken August 7, 2001 during a birthday trip to the Falls.
You might also enjoy The Whirlpool by Jane Urquhart.

Additional Reviews of The Day the Falls Stood Still



This is my 24th book for the Read, Remember, Recommend Fiction Challenge being hosted by Bibliobabe.com. Visit with Bibilobabe and find links to reviews of loads of awarding winning novels.
This is my 10th books for the 4th Canadian Book Challenge being hosted by John at The Book Mine Set.  At the end of the 6th month of the challenge, John posted a wonderful summary of the hundreds of books read and links to the many helpful review.  All readers an invited to join the challenge to read 13 books by any Canadian author.

6 comments:

Marie said...

I loved this book! I remains one of my all-time favourites.

Nice review and great shots of the area.

Dorte H said...

Gorgeous pictures, especially the one with the rainbow.

Paulina said...

Thanks for the review, and I love the photos!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are just amazing. I've never been to the Falls before but they are definitely on my must see list. The books sounds fantastic. It's going on my wish list today.

Cathy Marie Buchanan said...

Thanks for this lovely review of my debut. Nice job incorporating your photos! I remeber the one of you and the book. Terrific.

All best,
Cathy
-----
http://cathymariebuchanan.com/
http://www.facebook.com/cathymariebuchanan
http://twitter.com/CathyMBuchanan

Anonymous said...

Your comments about this natural wonder made me remember a visit to Niagara Falls a long time ago. Two beautiful girls took me there one night as the summer languished. I couldn't help but admire this Leviathan, and I suppose for the Falls we were insects whose amazement meant nothing. For some reason, the same idea kept ringing in my head, "The weakness of man, the strength of nature". The life of one of these girls, much later, would show me the meaning of the opposite idea "The strength of man the weakness of nature".
Jaime Galarza