Tuesday 23 September 2008

One More Sunday by John D. MacDonald


A murder mystery by a prolific author. Before his death in 1986 he penned almost 500 short stories and 78 novels.

This story peaked in to look at the inner workings of a "Religion based" empire. Seems that life is not always as 'pure' as it appears in the carefully crafted church services that are broadcast on TV.

I loved the writing in this book, particularly the chapters involving the Reverend Tom Daniel Birdy. He managed to cut through all the garbage and get to the real issues. I could picture him with his plain speaking telling Reverend Mary Margaret some truths that she desperately needed to acknowledge.

I will admit that for me this wasn't an edge of the seat read, but I did find myself admiring the masterful writing style of Mr. MacDonald. I would definitely read more of his works.

1 comment:

(M)ary said...

This is one of my favorite books. I would definitely recommend John D McDonald for some light reading. He is a good storyteller.