Tuesday 28 May 2013

Needlework Tuesday - A Quilt show by Joyce Gaessler


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

This week I have a very special show to share with you.  My friend and neighbour Joyce Gaessler was a guest presenter at the "Quilts of the World" exhibit at St. Jacob's Mennonite Church  as part of the St. Jacobs Quilt Shows this past week.  With Joyce's permission, I photographed all of the quilts she included.  These include an assortment of antiques of various ages. Somehow, unfinished quilt tops find their way to Joyce.  She either finishes them as they are, or takes them apart, removes sashing, re-arranges and then re-assembles. Fortunately she is a prolific hand quilter. She also pieces other quilts from scratch, but they were not included in this show.

For each quilt, I have included a photo of the information card which contains as much information about the original quilt maker and/or history of the quilt as Joyce was able to determine.
 


Pattern is called "Windblown Tulip" and was designed by Nancy Cabot.
It was published in her column in the Chicago Tribune on March 16, 1933.




I was invited to the quilt bee and worked on this quilt. 
Joyce decided to use red thread for the quilting, including in the white areas.
 I will admit that it was a bit of a thrill to stitch in red.  Such a bold choice.


18 blades per plate.


 
 

It was difficult to determine the block used for this quilt.
 

It is a 9 patch variation.  it's not a churn dash or it would feature half square triangles in the corners.




I love the details of the hand quilting on this one. 



 










The Red lap quilt.

Photo shows the original top with both sets of flower basket blocks.

Made with the red and blue basket blocks.




 
 
 





 
 



 


 


 
Thank-you Joyce for this lovely trip down a quilted memory lane.
 
 
Tami at Just One More Thing is having a lot of fun this week with crazy quilting.  She is looking for ideas on how to use these squares. Pop on over, have a look , then leave her a comment of suggestions.

 
 
 

3 comments:

Rikki said...

What a treasure to look at! I particularly love those white ones, never seen this kind of quilt before. LOVELY!

Tami said...

These are amazing. What incredible skill and love of history this woman has. Thank you for sharing.

My far less ambitious projects are posted at www.tdreads.blogspot.com. Perhaps someday someone will discover them and reinvent them. :)

Peggy said...

What a fabulous talent - taking all those quilt tops and remaking them! Thanks for sharing these, I really enjoyed the 'show'!