Thursday 9 May 2013

Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspear

Once again, Jacqueline Winspear has left my spell bound by the every day activities of Psychologist/Investigator Maisie Dobbs.  Working in post WW1 England, Maisie not only solves her clients dilemmas, but also seeks to sooth their souls.  She doesn't consider a case closed until she is satisfied that the persons involved comfortable with her results.

In Pardonable Lies, Maisie is asked by a friend of her patron, the Comptons, to prove that his son did die, as reported, during the war.  On her death bed, Agnes Lawton  implored her husband to find the truth.  As much as it seems this is an open and shut case, Maisie is determined to undertake a thorough investigation.

While she is starting the Lawton case, she meets with her dear friend Priscilla, who lost three brothers during the war.  She asks a favour of Maisie, to find the resting place of her  brother Peter.  As much as she doesn't want to do this, she can't refuse her friend.

Once again, we are reunited with some of my favourite characters.  Her mentor, Maurice Blanche, spends several days with her and reveals things which he had not planned to.   I feel there is still much mystery to Maurice.  Billy Beale continues to assist with the investigations and even take a lead hand when she is not available.  Way to go Billy.   Several times, Maisie calls on her friends for background in her cases.  James Compton, the son of her patron, finally finds his way into the story.  I have been looking forward to more involvement from him as so far he has rather been a mystery.

Ms. Winspear kept this story very close to her chest, she carefully shared bits and pieces, never revealing too much at one time.  I was practically on the edge of my seat listening, waiting for the next development.

I listened to the unabridged audio book version from Macmillan Audio, 10 hours 22 minutes.  It was read by Orlagh Cassidy, not the same reader as the previous book.  She was such a convincing reader, that each time she mentioned Maisie taking a breath, or touching her forehead, I found myself doing the same thing.  The only thing I disliked, was how she pronounced Maurice, it sounded more like Morris.  Small thing that did not diminish my enjoyment in any way. 



Thanks to Macmillan Audio for use of the cover image.

Maisie Dobbs series:
 
 
  1. Maisie Dobbs
  2. Birds of a Feather
  3. Pardonable Lies
  4. Messenger of Truth
  5. An Incomplete Revenge
  6. Among the Mad
  7. The Mapping of Love and Death
  8. A Lesson in Secrets
  9. Elegy for Eddie
  10. Leaving Every Thing Most Loved

3 comments:

Debbie Rodgers said...

Oh, I love this series, Heather.

I'm waiting for the most recent one, but it has to come inter-library loan (if you can believe my own library system didn't get a copy!), and they won't consider ILLing it until they've had it six months....grr

JoyceLM said...

I love the Maisie Dobbs series. Have you read the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King? They take place in a similar time period & are also very interesting.

Paulina said...

I keep getting recommendations for this series. I really do need to check it out!