Monday 14 September 2009

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by e.l. konigsburg


How is it that I haven't read this book before now and it was first published in 1967? My daughter put this book in my hands and said 'Read this book next !!!' I'm glad that I did.

Even given it's age, this book successfully challenges the movie 'Night at the Museum'.

Young Claudia has decided to run away from home. She is going to do it in style, not staying on the streets or in a park, rather she is going to stay at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. She convinces her brother Jamie to join her and the two set out on the adventure of a lifetime.

I loved this book. This book is fun and it speaks right to the child hidden in most of us. Who doesn't wish that they could spend time in a special building once it has been closed to the public? maybe a night in a professional bakery or a quilt store?



Newbery Medal and Honor Books

Update: September 29, 2009

Having been alerted to a movie made from this book, I sought it out at my local library. The movie is titled "The Hideaways" and stars Ingrid Bergman as Mrs. Frankweiler and Madeline Kahn does a guest appearence as the school teacher in the museum.

My daughter and I watched this together and enjoyed it very much. There are several departures from the book, though we felt that they didn't interfer with the telling in any way.
While Mrs. Frankenweiler was visually different than I expected, I still feel that she is a wonderful character and would love to have tea or mac and cheese with someone like her.

"The Hideaways" with Ingrid Bergman

7 comments:

Marie said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks for visiting my blog today and leaving the very kind note.

Since its BBAW, I'd also like to thank you for sharing your book reviews and your adventures in quilting. Your enthusiasm is inspirational and your blog is delightful. ;)

(M)ary said...

i always fantasize about staying in a furniture store after hours....you know one where they have faux living room,bedrooms and dininig rooms set up to show off the goods.

Anya said...

That was one of my sons favorite books in elementary school. I read it too, and it was great!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

You know what they say - the old ones are always the best.
Thanks for that review, it sounds like a good, clean, fun read.
You mentioned on my blog that you were having a problem with a link - sorry about that, I'm not too sure what the problem is. If you'd like to get in touch I'll see what I can do.

Jill said...

This was one of my favorites as a child, and I had the pleasure of reading it to my kids a year or two a go. They loved it, too! We recently watched the film, which stars Lauren Bacall as Mrs. Frankweiler, and it was actually not bad.

Heather said...

I didn't realize that it had been made into a movie. Will have to look for that. Thanks for the tip.

Kayleigh said...

Check out Shelf Discovery--there's a whole chapter devoted to From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler in it. Lizzie Skurnick, the author, is being interviewed tomorrow by Nancy Pearl.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/LibraryLoveFest/2009/09/23/Nancy-Pearl-and-Lizzie-Skurnick-talk-to-LibraryLovefest