Tuesday 29 September 2009

Needlework Tuesday

It was a good stitching week. I worked diligently on my son's scarf. That's the black one using the pattern 'Iwona's Groovy Scarf'. The mesh part is now 67 inches long and I guess that should be enough. Now I am stitching the I-cords that will be woven in. Its 8 stitches on 8mm needles so it goes very quickly. The challenge is to have this scarf completed in about 3 weeks for son's birthday.




As promised last week, I have started piecing my 'Dear Jane' blocks.

The first photo shows block A-6 Uncle Homer
I selected a light muslin and it washed up nicely so I have used it.

Fairly easy block, but I have to remember to pay close attention to the cutting sizes as these blocks finish at 4 1/2 inches, an unusual size for me.
View Tropical Screamer's Version.


I needed to come up with an approach to choosing blocks otherwise I would never have started. I paged through the book and listed blocks that are based on either a 4 patch or 9 patch and will work on those for the first while.

The second picture shows block B-13 Four Corner Press. My daughter had chosen the spider web fabric for a pillow case last year, and I felt it was perfect for the centre of this block. View Tropical Screamer's Version.



The third block I-1 Ralph & Nelda's Wedding combines both the 4 and 9 patches. Smaller pieces but not a problem.

View Tropical Screamer's Version, also in orange.




The fourth blocks M-10 Simple Simon was the easiest of the week and was actually the first one that I made. View Tropical Screamer's Version.



The four blocks posed together look rather nice. This is going to be a very orange quilt. I will try and remember to put in enough of the rusts and almost browns to keep it toned down a notch.

I have already selected the fabrics for the next 2 blocks. So come back next week and see which they are.

5 comments:

Anya said...

Very nice start. You'll have it done in no time!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

How beautiful is this - I wish I had your talent. Re: the question you posed on my blog - yes, it does indeed mean that he expects to be buried there.

Marie said...

Nice work Heather! I can't wait til next week.

Heather said...

I already have 2 more finished and am ready to start a 3rd. but you will have to wait to see them.

Hunter said...

Great start.

Your blocks are so pretty.

You and Anya are going to inspire me to get back to work on my blocks.

Best regards,
Darilyn
http://tropicalscreamer.blogspot.com/
http://tropicalscreamersamplerquilt.blogspot.com/