Wednesday 30 September 2009

Banned Book Week

I can't imagine that I would ever tell you, my readers, that they must not read a particular book because I have found something offensive to me within its covers. I don't understand how others think that they can dictate to me what books should be available to me and my children.

I encourage you to inform yourself about 'Banned Books Week: Celebrating the Freedom to Read' and to read some of those books that have found they way onto the 'we want this book banned' list.

Visit the American Library Association website.

I have also learned about an intriguing film, "The Hollywood Librarian: A Look at Librarians through Film " . Visit the website to check whether there will be a screening in your area. It looks fascinating. Just last week I watched the movie "Fahrenheit 451". Not quite as moving as the book (in my opinion), but very thought provoking.

I am curious, when I hear of a book being challenged for removal from libraries, my first reaction is "I have to get hold of a copy and read it myself". Please leave a comment and let me know how you respond.

Thanks to Petty Witter for reminding me that 'Banned Books Week' is this week.

2 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

As I said Heather, I had no idea that such a site existed and was shocked at some of the books there. I must confess that I wouldn't read a book just because it was banned but nor would it being banned stop me from reading it.

With regard to book reviews on my blog, I have on occassion mentioned that I found something personally offensive but I wouldn't then go on to tell others not to read it. I'll leave it to the individual to make up their own mind.

Hunter said...

I always try to read each book that's added to the Banned Books list. I also try to give them as gifts. LOL.

Darilyn