Saturday 9 June 2012

I love Sweet Potatoes

A week ago, daughter and I spent the day with a friend making paper.  The details are found in my post titled: "Making Paper - a foil to the Ereader".  What I forgot to write about was the wonderful lunch we had during our break.  New Dundee is not a large place, but it does have at least two good places to eat.  Wanting to keep it quickish, we decided to visit the Dundee Diner on Queen Street.

Daughter selected the huge dish of poutine.  What, you don't know what poutine is.  It's a French Canadian dish that starts with a layer of fresh french fries, generously sprinkled with curd cheese and then smothered in a thick gravy.  This one had a secret bottom layer of a thick slice of bread topped by a giant, grilled hamburger patty.  Daughter made a valiant attempt, but only was able to finish about 2/3 of the dish.

I opted for the souvlaki in a pita dish with Greek salad, fries and rice.  I would have been fine with just the souvlaki, but I really did want to include salad in my lunch.

The Dundee Diner is definitely on my "re-visit" list.  They are have a cooler featuring the most amazing looking desserts.  We were far too stuffed to even consider sweets.  Next time, we are starting with dessert.
On Monday evening was potluck dinner at my local quilt guild.  One of the desserts was this wonderful tea bag cookie.  It was not a sweet sugar cookie as we all suspected.  I don't have the recipe for this one, as the baker would not own up to making them.  They were a huge hit.  A quick search of the Internet turned up many recipes.  I have included the link to a gluten and dairy free version that I found at PaleoSpirit.com.  I happen to have all the ingredients and think they will be perfect for the Bridal tea party that I am planning for my neighbour's eldest daughter.  I will be adding some sprinkles after dipping in chocolate.

I wanted to take a dish to the pot luck that was dairy free, but I also wanted to be considerate of a friend who must refrain from gluten.  A friend gave me several copies of 'healthy' recipes and one of them would be perfect. 

Vegan Sweet Potato Picnic Salad.


2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into about 1 inch pieces
2 medium apples, diced into 1 inch pieces
2 ribs of celery, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
4 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
1/3 cup golden raisin
1/4 cup chopped flat leaved parsley
3 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp mustard (I used course Dijon)
Pinch of curry powder
Pinch of smoked paprika (I used regular paprika)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and  cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender about 7 minutes.  Drain and allow to cool.

Add apples, celery, scallions, raisins and parsley. 

In a separate small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, mustard and spices.  Pour over
sweet potatoes and toss gently.

* I didn't have any scallions nor parsley.  If I were making this for at home, I would have added half of a diced Vidella (sweet) onion.  I did sprinkle some bits of pecan on top when I had a dish the next day.  To mix the oil, vinegar, and spices, I put them in a cup with tight fitting lid and shake until well mixed. This tastes best when allowed to sit for a few hours before serving so the flavours can mingle.

Thanks to Anita for sharing the recipe, sorry but I don't know which publication it is from.


For lots more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking post.  You are invited to add a link to your recent foodie post.

15 comments:

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

My husband loves diner food, and your diner looks great. I'm bookmarked the Vegan Sweet Potato Picnic Salad; my nephew is a vegan and he is coming for a visit, this recipe looks perfect.

Vicki said...

We love sweet potatoes and I'm always happy to find a new way to make them. I'll be trying this recipe for sure!!
Here's My WC

caite said...

I know what poutine is. I have eaten poutine! And lived!

Libby said...

I am intrigued by the tea bag cookies...so cool! you could make them with some kind of tea flavoring... Cutest thing ever :)

jama said...

Never had sweet potatoes in a salad before. Thanks for the recipe. That teabag cookie is adorable. :)

Carole said...

this looks really nice. Have a good week.

Beth F said...

Oh I love sweet potatoes too! That tea bag cookie looks so cute. I'd love to make some.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

yum!! the sweet potato salad looks delicious!! thanks!

Little Nell said...

I like the sound of that sweet potato salad.

Carole said...

Hi Heather, the Auckland Art Gallery does have one Brent Wong. He is also represented by Ferner Galleries - who now operate out of Taupo but I am not sure how many of his works they currently have. His works do come up at auctions at Webbs.

Have a great day.

Peggy Ann said...

Sweet potato salad! I will be trying that. Thanks!

Amy said...

That sweet potato salad sounds amazing - I am a huge sweet potato fan!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Poutine sounds yummy though I'd give the hamburger a miss.

Carole said...

Glad you liked the collection of avocado recipes. Have a great week.

Carol said...

The Sweet potato salad looks delicious, great flavors in there. I would love poutine, we always ordered a side of fries with gravy. Have to try it with cheese curds. If I can find them.