Friday 18 September 2009

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry & Ridley Pearson


I was totally enchanted by this audio book that describes how Peter Pan and the Lost Boys came about. It is full of wondrous magic, pirates, a giant crocodile and even the fairy dust that makes Peter fly.
.
My daughter insisted that I listen to this book. Her teacher read it to her at school a few years ago and held her class in rapt attention. I am so glad I finally listened to her.
.
I am not going to tell you anything that happens in the book as I don't want to spoil a thing for you.
.
If you are looking for a book to read to your child or if you want to relive a magical part of your childhood, make this the next one on your list. I can't wait to start listening to 'Peter and the Shadow Thieves'.
.
If you would like to explore this version of Neverland further, then visit the 'Peter and the Starcatchers' website.
Thanks to Chapters.ca for the use of the cover photo.

7 comments:

Jill said...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this! We listened to this in the car last year on a family vacation, and everyone loved it. Jim Dale also reads the Harry Potter books, and he's just wonderful! I love when teachers take the time to read long books to their classes. :-)

The Never Fairy said...

Although it's a fun story by itself, as a prequel to Peter Pan it fails, though. Peter already had a backstory as per J.M. Barrie. And this isn't even close. Plus, it has a LOT of mistakes from Barrie's original stories. I wonder if Barry/Pearson even READ them? And if it's supposed to be a prequel to Disney's version, it contradicts that eventually, too!

There is a faitful Pan story. Click my name to see.

BELIEVE!

RayRay said...

This series has quickly become one of my favorites and I'm so happy to see someone else who likes it. I hope your daughter enjoys the next books as well.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I read this to a class of children (aged 7 or thereabouts) and they all loved it as well. I threw in some puppets for good measure and hey presto! Funnily enough their favourite was the crocodile which I was always frightened of as a child.

Heather said...

A comment bythe owner of this blog:

The blogger 'The Never Fairy' has written another book that follows the further adventures of Peter Pan. I haven't read that book so I can't comment on it. The website of 'Peter and the Starcatchers' states "Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson have turned back the clock to reveal a wonderful story that precedes J.M. Barrie's beloved Peter Pan."

If 'The Never Fairy' wants to send me a free copy of his novel 'Peter Pan's Neverworld' I would love to read and review it here. I will also look for a copy of the original 'Peter Pan' and do likewise.

I believe in letting authors/artists use their artistic licence and massage the facts. I don't tend to get hung up on every thing being exact. So go ahead and read any and all of these books and enjoy them. Then let me know what you think.

Lindsey said...

I really enjoyed the first in this series, but haven't yet gotten to the second. Maybe it's time to re-read that one and keep moving forward :)

The Never Fairy said...

You can go ahead and ask the author for a copy, I suppose. :)

But I just don't get how it CAN'T be exact. These books are supposed to be prequels... they NEED to keep the facts straight. When borrowing another author's work, how can being disrespectful of and ignoring what they wrote be acceptable?