Thursday 17 September 2009

Heaven is Small by Emily Schultz

I loved this book from the very first line: "Moments after his death, an event he had failed to notice, Gordon Small sought new employment." He is hired by Heaven Book Company and sets to work as a proof reader of Romance novels.

From there, his new life could commence and follow a day to day routine, but Gordon notices inconsistencies; the cigarette package that never empties, employees who wear the same thing everyday and bring the same sandwich for lunch etc.. As he wasn't satisfied in life, Gordon isn't satisfied in death. He sets out to get himself published and when he does succeed all of Heaven panics.

I read this as a fun, light-hearted book. I didn't go searching for deeper meaning or lessons to be learned. Would highly recommend this non-romance novel.

I will definitely be looking forward to seeing this one on 'the big screen.

Visit House of Anansi Press for more information about Emily Schultz and 'Heaven is Small'.

This is my 4Th read for the 3rd Canadian Book Challenge.

4 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

This sounds like a truly lovely read. I love the idea of one man causing heaven to panic - wonderful

B.Kienapple said...

I've been meaning to read this one. Thanks for the review!

Alana said...

Sounds interesting. Definitely going to look into reading it.

Melwyk said...

I was just looking at this book this morning; now I really want to read it :)