Tuesday 29 September 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and other Jazz Age Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I was browsing the list of audio books I could download and came across this title. I was curious about it after hearing of the movie of the same title, so I downloaded it. It is a book of 3 short stories: 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button', 'The Diamond as Big as the Ritz', and 'O Russet Witch'. I listened to these over the course of 2 weeks as I have to listen to 'O Russet Witch' 2 times.

I thoroughly enjoyed Benjamin Button. Benjamin is born old, approximately 70 years, and his father has a hard time adjusting to this and he keeps trying to treat Benjamin as a baby. I thought that his father did a good job of finding ways to accept his son's 'condition'. The person least able to adapt was his grandson who kept wanting Benjamin to 'stop it' and be his real age. I plan to watch the video when I get the chance as I am curious to see how the age changes are handled.

"The Diamond as Big as the Ritz" is pure fantasy. Imagine a mountain that is one entire diamond. This vast wealth creates complications for the family who owns the diamond and for all who come in contact with them. Interesting look at wealth and the extremes that people can go to to keep secrets.

"O Russet Witch" was a confusion for me at first. I missed the first paragraph due to traffic noise and was confused for the next 1/2 hour. I started it again and everything made sense the second time. Merlin Grainger works in a book shop and one day his neighbour enters and his life changes from that moment. For the rest of the story Merlin is looking/yearning for what he doesn't have.

You can read "O Russet Witch" online.

The F. Scott Fitzgerald Society

All in all, I enjoyed listening to these stories and am inspired to re-read "The Great Gatsby" which I last read quite some time ago in highschool.


Thank you to Chapters.com for the cover photo.

No comments: