Monday 31 March 2008

Executive Privilege by Phillip Margolin

You will want to ensure that you have lots of spare time before picking up Executive Privilege, as once you've started, you won't want to put it down.

While essentially a 'lawyer' story, it also looks at what wealth and power can buy. Can the ulitimate influence of the White House shield its inhabitants from a murder charge?

I enjoyed the character of Brad Miller, a newly practising lawyer who draws the winner of all cases with his first pro-bono case. He is expected to appeal the death row conviction of serial killer Clarence Little, who has confided to Brad that he really didn't do it, and he can supply proof. Brad turns to his future girl friend, Ginny, for advice. I admit that I never was comfortable with her. I kept expecting her to turn traitor.

While Brad is working the case from the Portland area, Dana is investigating from D.C. I would love to read more about P.I. Dana Cutler. Even in the most dire of situations she held it together and came out on top.

If legal and political thrillers are your thing, you won't want to miss Executive Privilege. I had never heard of Phillip Margolin before reading this novel, but I have added him to my list of 'must read' authors.

Thanks to Harper Collins for the cover picture.

My reviews of other novels by Phillip Margolin:

Gone But Not Forgotten

No comments: