Thursday 11 February 2010

Recipe Thursday - Molten Chocolate Cakes

It was hubby's birthday on Tuesday and that called for a special cake.  I wanted something that would seem decadent but not have 5 gazillion calories.  Ya right, like I had a chance.  After much searching and drooling, I came across a recipe for molten volcano type cakes that I had all the ingredients for.

It is from the 2003 book 'decadent Desserts' by Company's Coming.   I have also made the 'White Chocolate Mousse' cake  which was a bit complicated, but I took several deep breaths, mixed each bowl and then combined them.  It turned out wonderful .  The 'Cherry Cheese Dessert' was much easier and turned out equally as well. 
There are several recipes for filled crepes that beg to be attempted.   I can't even begin to tell what the 'Ice Cream and Mud Cake' does to me.  All of the recipes are wonderfully illustrated and special techniques are very clearly described/pictured.  These definitely are special occasion cakes.

Molten Chocolate Cakes (the cake where the middle oozes out when you cut into it)
2 tsp butter
1 tbsp cocoa, sifted if lumpy
2/3 cup butter, no substitutes
5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
2 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups icing (confectioner's) sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Grease six 3/4 cup ramekins with the first amount of butter.  Coat bottom and side of each ramekin with cocoa, discarding excess cocoa.

Heat second amount of butter and chocolate in small heavy saucepan on lowest heat, stirring often, until almost melted.  Do not overheat.  Remove from heat.  Stir until smooth.  Cool slightly.

Beat egg yolks and whole eggs in medium bowl for about 2 minutes until frothy.  Beat in icing sugar on low.  Add chocolate mixture and flour.  Beat well until thick and glossy.  Divide batter among prepared ramekins.  Place on baking sheet. Bake in 450 F over for about 12 minutes until evenly risen and edge appears set, but middle is still wobbly.  Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes.  run knife around side of cakes to loosen.  Cover with individual plates and invert to remove from ramekins.  (at this point, cakes may sit inverted witout removing ramekins for up to 20 minutes. They will stay warm and the centre with still be molten).  Makes 6 cakes.

I only had 4 ramekins, so I baked the other two in Cappacino mugs.  They were about the same volume and they turned out perfect.  I liked the shape of them better.  Very important that you grease the dish/ramekin with lots of the butter.  If you skimp, then the cocoa won't stick and you'll have trouble getting the cake out of the dish.

Important Note:  If you are using this for a birthday cake, don't stick a candle into the cake and then wait for the birthday boy to arrive at the table.  The candle will start to melt and the wax will get into the molten part.  Don't even think of asking me how I know this...
On Saturday's, Beth Fish hosts 'Weekend Cooking'.  I will add the correct link at that point and you can view the book reviews and recipes that the other participants post.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Nix the candles. Check! lol.

That looks way too yummy.

Beth F said...

LOL on the candles! OMG this looks awesomely rich and wonderful. Humm, I could bake tomorrow for Valentine's Day.

caite said...

oh my...I think that I may faint, cooking at that picture.
and actually sound totally doable!

Esme said...

You have me wanting a piece of that cake-it looks luscious.

here is my entry:

http://chocolateandcroissants.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html#8415676676431921649 (Italian Mushroom Pockets)

bermudaonion said...

That looks like a great cookbook! I love to bake desserts, but we don't eat them, so I've kind of quit.

Jill said...

That looks phenomenal! Thanks for including the recipe. (wipes drool off chin) Can't wait to try it out!