Friday 19 February 2010

Recipe Thursday - Blueberry Pancakes

What could be better than a large batch of fresh blueberry pancakes to tell your Valentines that you love them.  I had already decided to make pancakes for Valentines breakfast, when son came down to ask if I would mind making pancakes.  Was he reading my mind?  or are my pancakes better than my sister's?  ( he is currently living with my sister).

I went to my fall back cookbook, 'Five Roses: A Guide to Good Cooking 25th edition".  This is the book that I used when I was baking my wedding cake.  Its rather falling apart now and I have been checking used book stores to find a copy of the same edition.  There are at least 2 editions of this book currently available (1999, 2003).

Blueberry Pancakes

1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1  1/4 cup milk (soy milk works)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated lemon rind
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  In a small bowl, combine beaten egg, milk, oil, and vanilla.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour liquid all at once.  Add blueberrs and lemon rind. Stir quickly until it comes freely from side of bowl.  Drop in small amounts on hot panckae griddle or cook 4 at a time in an electric frying pan.  Grease frying pan at the beginning only.  Cook pancakes until they are filled with bubbles and the undersuface is golden brown.  Turn and brown other side.

Watch the bubbles carefully, they will tell you when to turn.  When a bubble breaks, if the surrounding batter quickly fills in that hole, then don't turn, when the bubble breaks and the batter is very slow to fill the hole, time to turn over.  You should also notice that the top outer edges of the pancake will be cooked at the same time.  It really is a matter of practice to know when to turn.  The second side will cook in less than half the time of the first.  To test if you griddle is hot enough, flick a few drops of water on it, they should dance around not lie there waiting to evapourate.

Join Beth Fish Reads on Saturday for links to addtional recipes and food related review.  Add a link to your food related blog entry from this week.

5 comments:

caite said...

since tuesday was National Pancake Day, I just made some... http://caitesdayatthebeach.blogspot.com/2010/02/happy-national-pancake-day.html..
I didn't have blueberries but I add some frozen blackberries to some of them. And of course, I am glad to see that real maple syrup nest to yours too.

Beth F said...

Blueberries is a theme this weekend! Yummers. My husband is the pancake baker in this house. I may have to talk him into making them tomorrow morning.

Ali said...

Yum! We make blueberry pancakes pretty regularly. We like to mix up the batter without the berries and then drop them onto the pancakes as the first side cooks, to get them evenly spread.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

We make pancakes fairly often (and, like Caite, had them on Tuesday!). I'm ashamed to say I rarely make them from scratch, though; breakfast is hectic, so I'm a 'buttermilk pancake mix' kind of girl.

Maybe I should try your recipe - complete with blueberries - the next time we have 'breakfast for dinner' (another favorite tradition!)

The Book Guru said...

mmmm yummy! I'll have to try that recipe!