Thursday 25 February 2010

Recipe Thursday - Reggae Gumbo

On a cold winter day I need something that will stick to my ribs and help keep me warm.  Stew definitely hits the spot.  Not wanted to make it beef based, I went for a favourite 'Reggae Gumbo'.  It's from the 'LooneySpoons' cookbook by Janet & Greta Podleski.  While this 1996 book is not longer available new,  its was a huge seller and I have seen copies in the used book stores.  The sisters do have a new cookbook out 'Eat. Shrink and be Merry'.  I have no doubt that it contains equally wonderful recipes. 

As I have told you before, I tend to make the same recipes from a particular book again and again.  From this book that would be: Wowie Maui Chicken, Salmon Spy Rolls, Puddin' on the Ritz, N.Y.P.D. Blueberry Pancakes, and Tidy Joes.  My only complaint with this book is that it can sometimes be hard to figure out what the dish is from the wacky names.

This week i made the Reggae Gumbo, which my mom said was the best stew she had ever tasted and asked for the recipe.  I asked her is she remember that cookbook she gave to my sister and me and one for herself?  Yes, she already has the cookbook.


Reggae Gumbo

1 teaspoon canola oil
1 pound boneless pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped celery
1  28 oz can tomatoes, undrained, cut up
5 1/2 oz can of tomato paste
1 teaspoon each ground cumin and grated ginger root
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon each black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes (small cubes cook much faster)
1 cup sliced okra (frozen ok) or zucchini
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander


Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add pork cubes and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes.  Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, and celery.  Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, ginger root, oregano, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

stir in sweet potatoes and okra or zucchini.  Cover and simmer another 30-35 minutes, until pork and potatoes are very tender.  Stir in coriander during last 5 minutes of cooking time.  Remove from heat and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

Hope you enjoy this dish.  Join Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking.  You can link with a recipe or any food related post.

8 comments:

joemmama said...

Yummy, that looks so good! Thanks for stopping by and letting me rant. I know what you mean...when is it enough? We will just stick together!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Good to be back, many thanks for your best wishes. A non meat eater myself, ma-in-law reckons a plate of meat is just what I need.

Marie said...

I love Janet and Greta! I have their other two books, "Crazy Plates" and "Eat, Shrink and be Merry" and would definitely recommend them.

Thanks for posting this recipe. It looks yummy.

Melissa said...

Looks like such a heart stew for a cold winter's day!

Bonnie said...

I've not heard of this cookbook before. The stew sounds perfect for the winter and fall, yum!

JoAnn said...

This looks delicious, and the quirky names are funny!

Beth F said...

OMG -- this sounds heavenly and perfect for a cold winter's evening. I love the flavors and the ingredients. I have heard of the cookbook, but never picked up a copy. I'll have to see if my library carries it.

I'm going to be trying this stew soon.

Esme said...

I so like gumbo-I am going to need to go get myself some shrimp.