Tuesday 9 February 2010

Needlework Tuesday


Ever get tired of working on old projects?  Recently I have been looking through that magazine I told you about last week, Quiltmaker's 100 Quilt Blocks.  I really like # 97 'Wild Blue Yonder.  I remembered some samples of floral fabrics that had been sitting on the floor of my quilt room for the better part of 10 years.  I figured I would find them and cut out a block and sew it up.  By the time I was finished cutting, I had enough darks for 14 blocks and lights for 8 blocks.   The first picture shows one quarter of the block.  Pretty straight forward piecing.  Rectangles and triangles.
Second picture shows the completed 12 inch block.  I have to admit that I rather like this one.  More blocks to be made  though I will have to purchase some similar light florals.  Don't know how many blocks I'll make, we'll see what happens.

The designer of this block is Scott Murkin of Patchwork Possibilities.  Here's the link to his photo album.

I have finally finished everything on the ABC quilt.  It is titled 'Lilybet' since it is for Lily.  Size is 70 x 81 inches, Hobbs Polydown batting, flannelette on the back.  Machine quilted.  In the next picture you can see a bit of the quilting detail.  I kept it simple as I had no other idea of how to finish it and I didn't want to detract from the embroidered letters. I did end up quilting free form around all the letters and it made a big improvement.  Can't wait to give it to Lily and her mom.  There is even a label on the back that gives her mom credit for the embroidered letters.
I didn't work on my Bernat Knit along project this week.  they did post instructions for how to arrange your blocks and how to stitch them together.  I will have to get moving and finish the final two blocks.  I do think i need to block the knitting as they aren't all the same size.  That will delay me a bit, but I really does need to be done.

the Olympic start on friday and I don't know how the will affect me.  Will probably get a bunch more knitting done. Still have one more scarf planned (2 yet to finish mending in ends and show you) and then on to a different afghan.

Remember, you still have to midnight to enter my two contest: 1) the 4 fabric pillow panels, 2) the paper piecing pattern

also you have another week to enter the contest for the Red Canada Olympic Mittens.  Look for the link on the left side bar.


Click the 'Finished for Friday' and see who else has finished a project this week.  Could be needlework, a book, or some other project that has sat unfinished for much too long.

6 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Lily's quilt is very cute. I bet it felt good to get a finish. I know I will be happy when I get one!

The purple flowered block is very pretty. I will be waiting to see what you decide to make with it.

Scott Murkin said...

Heather, great job--I like your version of my block even better than my own!

Roslyn said...

I'm sure Lily will love her quilt & how sweet that her mom had a part in it.

Threeundertwo said...

Congratulations on finishing the quilt! I love that blue and white block too. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday!

Bea said...

I love the floral block. What a wonderful gift for Lily! Nice finishes.

concretenprimroses said...

That new square is stunning. Its going to make up spectacular! The lighter fabric reminds me of pretty vintage plates.
The ABC quilt is adorable. Congrats on finishing it.
Kathy