Sunday 14 February 2010

Book Shopping at a Library Clearance sale

I want to the library sale at the next town yesterday.  I was told that they had 40 000 books that they needed to move out of storage real fast.  Instead of charging per book, there was a $4.00 admission for adults, and you could fill a bag or box of books and take it home with you for no additonal charge.  The first picture shows my bag.  I could just carry it out to the car.

There were tons of non-fiction, lots of hardcover fiction, and some paper backs.  I even found one cookbook.

If I had put nothing else in my bag, this book 'Beyond Tradition: Comtemporary Indian Art and Its Evolution'  would have made my day.  It is full of glossy colour pictures.

My nephew is a 'weapons tech' in the Canadian Military.  These two books will be sent to him.  I'm sure he'll love them.

This is the rest of the books.

Teen Novels:
Shark Bait by Graham Salisbury
Mercury Man by Tom Henighan
replica by Marilyn Kaye
Grave Secrets by Sylvia McNicoll
Edge by Diane Tullson
The Wolves of Woden by Alison Baird
Grind by Eric Walters

Adults Novels:
paperbacks
Spares by Michael Marshall Smith  (just noticed that this has been on my wish list)
Death Rites by Bruce Elliot
U-571 by Max Allan Collins (for my dad who reads this military/espionage genre)
The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtenay
God Save the Queen by Dorothy Cannell
hardcover
Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evenovich
Wild Justice by Phillip Margolin
The Devil's Feather by Minette Walters
Killer View by Ridley Pearson
The Siege of Eternity by Frederick Pohl (this one is for hubby)
the tin collectors by Stephen J. Cannell
The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris
Shoot Him If he Runs by Stuart Woods
Six Moon Dance by Sheri S. Tepper
Death on the Rocks by Eric Wright
The First Patient by Michael Palmer
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Murder in a Cold Climate by Scott Yound
The Bus People by Rachel Anderson
Pretty Maids all in a Row by Anthea Fraser

Other
Any Child can read better by Harvey S. Wiener (for a friend who's daughter needs a bit of help)
They Died too Young: Jim Morrision by Jon E. Lewis (for my son)
Canadian Writes and their Works: Hugh MacLennan by Peter Buitenhuis(oops, two copies by accident)
Canadian Novelists: 1920-1945 by Clara Thomas
secrets of Lactose Free Cooking by Arlene Burlant
Indians of the Pacific Northwest by  Karen Liptak
Burl Ives' Buitar for Beginners

Some of these books I plan to read or use, but the majority will be registered with bookcrossing.com and given away.  What a haul for $4.00 and 1/2 hour of browsing.

5 comments:

Marie said...

Great bunch of books for a great price.

I haven't been to a library sale in awhile, but I've bought books that I know I'll use strictly for Bookcrossing. Good idea when the price is right. I hope you get lots of catches.

Dorte H said...

What a great haul!

I hope you are going to read the one by Minette Walters; I think she is a great writer.

Jocelyn said...

Wow what a wonderful way to get rid of books!

Esme said...

Heather-Flying Aprons used 1 2/3 cup navy beans instead of garbanzo-if you want I will send you the recipe for the pocket . She also served marinara sauce on the side. WHere in Ontario are you from-I am from Ottawa.

Shelley said...

Wow, Heather, I love to read and you hit the jackpot! What fun! I'm jealous:)