Saturday 22 May 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival Spring 2010



Amy at Amy's Creative Side is hosting her semi-annual quilt festival.  Hundreds of bloggers have signed up to exhibit one of their favourite quilts along with it's story.  I haven't participated in  a while, but wanted to join in the fun this year.  I have selected a wallhanging that I made in 2003.  It was specifically made for the quilt show of the local guild that I belonged to at that time.

Quilt details:
title: Still Crazy after all those Years
29 x 29 inches
materials - silk and cotton
batting - Hobbs 80 cotton 20 poly
The crazy centre of each block is pieced from scraps of cotton.  Some of the seams have been machine embroidered with shiny embroidery threads.
The sashing is made from blouse weight silk. A fusible light weight interfacing was attached and them machine embroidered



The corner stones are from a heavier brocade silk.  I don't recall that they had interfacing.  Each is machine embroidered with a single motif.  The other border is made from a heavy nubbly silk.  I didn't have enough so I had to make seams.  I decided to make them diagonal, and since they showed I embroidered along the side to acknowledge their existance.

Every quilt needs a label. This was printed on paper backed fabric that came in a kit that you were supposed to use to print out fabric to make clothing for your Barbie doll. That never happened. The paper tag is from the one and only quilt show that it was exhibited in. 
The silks in this quilt were free from a local manufacturer.  I don't remember what she made from the fabric, but she donated several bags of scraps to the local guild that I do still belong to.  They were so luscious that I felt compelled to make something from them.




Be sure to visit Amy at the Blogger's Quilt Festival and find links to hundreds of special quilters and their quilts.

27 comments:

Deborah said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Gorgeous stitching.

Marika said...

Very beautiful Quilt work

Beth said...

This is beautiful. I've always wished I could quilt!

Marie said...

Very nice! I love the crazy centres.

Unknown said...

Great quilt and blog.

Roslyn said...

Love crazy quilts I have only ever done one that fit in an 8x10 frame,LOL.

canuckquilter said...

We don't see many crazy quilts. Yours is beautiful. I love the bright fabrics and stitching.

Kristen said...

Beautiful and loved...perfect! I love the fabric and layout you chose for it!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Stunning. I shall be certain to visit the quilt festival, what a lovely idea to have such an event.

Jocelyn said...

What a very fun quilt! Your stitching really sets it off. I've never used silk in a quilt before. Yours looks lovely.

Jamie said...

I like your quilt; it's beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Ivory Spring said...

Oh, how beautiful - I love the details. You did a marvelous job.

Thank you for stopping by - please come back again! :)

In stitches,
Wendy

Miri said...

I love your crazy quilt! I like how everyone's crazy is different- adding sashing and then embroidery on the sashes as well as on the seams looks terrific.

Angie Padilla said...

Thank you for leaving a note on my blog, Heather. It's good having a new setup where I can now "talk" with my visitors!

Your quilt reminds me of my incredibly creative daughter-in-law who has also made a couple of crazy quilts. I don't think I've ever seen her use red that way, though. And I really like the machine embroidery in the sashing. Pretty cool.

janet said...

Lovely, I have always had a thing for crazy quilts.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Now that's a quilt I can love! A lot of work and thought went into it!

Dorothy said...

Beautiful quilt, and I love the name!

Kathy said...

I love, love, love crazy quilts. My entry last spring was a family crazy quilt. I like the free form nature of your quilt and yet yours has such structure with the sashing strips in red. I would be standing by it for a long time if it were at a live quilt show.

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful quilt. Lovely design, fabrics and colors. And excellent quilting. You did a wonderful job!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

I have such a soft spot for crazy quilts because it was a crazy quilt to which I was first introduced as a kid. I loved looking at all the different fabrics. Yours is such a lovely example. Really wonderful machine embroidery.

Eileen said...

fun quilt. i too often add pretty stitching to seams of what i call my comfy quilts--pieced quilts with fleece backs for family and friends. nice crazy quilting!!

Angie in SoCal said...

I love it, Heather! A bright crazy quilt - neat. I may try this with some crumb blocks I have.

Thanks for looking at my entry for the BQF.

Sandra said...

what a fun crazy-my fav crazies are one like yours that look like they have random letters. If you go to my starley blog you'll see my black,white,& hot pink crazy.
Come see my antique quilt entries
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com
http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Free silks! Wow, you did them proud. Lovely quilt. Thanks for dropping by to see my Blogger's Quilt Festival entry. Fun times, I just miss the vendor booths at the show ... well, unless you count all the blogs that are really selling stuff.

Mary said...

This is great! I love any sort of crazy quilt. Doing the stitching is such fun, whether by hand or by machine, and dreaming up stuff to embellish it. Stopping is the hard part!

Shawn said...

Love all the neat and unique stitching on your crazy quilt,great work!

Heidi said...

great quilt and the song is one of my favorites :-)
Heidi